NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount advice needed

Spikey

After many years as a dedicated Astro Imager I'm going to be doing a bit of observing whilst I decide where to go next in imaging.

I have a 127 Mak on a Goto AZ mount, still got my imaging ED80 with steeltrack and a 200p with a decent revelation focuser on it.

Ideally I'd like to get something Alt/Az that will take all of those scopes individually or maybe two at once - something like a Sky Tee perhaps?

On the other hand, I think the 200p is causing me the most issues to do its size and weight - should I get rid of this and go for something like a 150p on a smaller mount?

That's a good suggestion Derek. Should handle it well. In some ways it depends upon whether slo mo controls are needed. The SkyTee 2 is probably the most available and best value with slo mo but I much prefer the build quality and the two equal capacity mounting points each side of the Ercole.

It will remain smooth even without a counterweight with a small scope, seems fine with my Tak.

What do you want to observe, and how long do you think it will be before you go back to imaging? If you wanted a goto mount, the AZEQ6 or 5 would be worth looking at, great for two scopes in alt az for visual or EQ mode for imaging.

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's a good suggestion Derek. Should handle it well. In some ways it depends upon whether slo mo controls are needed. The SkyTee 2 is probably the most available and best value with slo mo but I much prefer the build quality and the two equal capacity mounting points each side of the Ercole.

It will remain smooth even without a counterweight with a small scope, seems fine with my Tak.

What do you want to observe, and how long do you think it will be before you go back to imaging? If you wanted a goto mount, the AZEQ6 or 5 would be worth looking at, great for two scopes in alt az for visual or EQ mode for imaging.

I'm thinking of going down the star adventurer route @Stu ; my home location LP has seen an end to anything worthwhile so I'll just be a casual observer. Brighter DSOs , clusters, maybe a few of the easier nebula.

16 minutes ago, Spikey said:

I'm thinking of going down the star adventurer route @Stu ; my home location LP has seen an end to anything worthwhile so I'll just be a casual observer. Brighter DSOs , clusters, maybe a few of the easier nebula.

Star adventurer for visual Simon?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Star adventurer for visual Simon?

No for imaging on lightweight gear so it's more portable. I think I could share a skywatcher tripod with it and a skytee

1 minute ago, Spikey said:

No for imaging on lightweight gear so it's more portable. I think I could share a skywatcher tripod with it and a skytee

That would work I think. The Star Adventurer is excellent on a decent tripod, and fine for visual if just tracking say the sun or a planet, but the SkyTee (or Ercole) will be much better for star hopping, DSOs etc

Archived