NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IR filter for Planets?

Hi,

I have a colour ASI ZWO 120, will this camera work with an IR filter like this one, to improve planetary sharpness? I'm guessing I would have to capture in Mono, and then add it to the colour image as a L channel?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uv-ir-filters/astronomik-proplanet-742-ir-pass-filter.html

Thanks for looking! :)

John

It depends on whether your ASI120 has a IR CUT filter... if it does then a IR PASS filter will be uesless since there will be no photos hitting the sensor.. first you'd have all but IR blocked, and than all the IR passed through blocked by the filter just before the sensor resulting in nothing visible.

120MC (colour) does, 120MM (mono) doesn't

MC still has extended sensitivity compared to a DSLR.

I use an IR/UV cut filter anyway, because it's fitted to my filter wheel so I can swap from mono to colour and back easily.

Oops!  just noticed @MarsG76's comment yes that's IR pass. It will work with the mono but not well with the colour.

I would like a UV pass for Venus, but they are not cheap for a once a year filter!

Archived