What telescope setup do I have?

Hello everyone!

My father got me a Bresser telescope around 11/12 years ago. I was around six/seven years old at that time and never really used it. Probably because I was too young and had no clue what to do. I forgot about it and when we moved out of our house a few months ago was the first time the telescope didn't stand in the attic. I started looking for information about it but can't seem to find anything reliable. The manual is universal for every Messier-Type telescope they have. Just looking at the specs it matches the N-130 Newton-Reflector (130/1000). The mount on the other hand looks like an older version of the Exos-2 mount (assumption made because of the pole finder and the case for the motor drive). I'd really like to know what I have standing here and what I can expect what it's capable of (it's an entry level telescope I assume?). The telescope also came with three plössl eye pieces (10mm, 15mm, 25mm) and a 2x barlow lense. I'll upload some pictures as well.

Thanks in advance!

599c3f80-0aad-4067-9912-a7aec8bc405a.jpg4cd6abb9-23c0-4e14-90e4-57ca851951b5.jpgd2ce4127-f47f-476d-bed8-0cee5c431afe.jpg

9 minutes ago, MauriceN said:

what I can expect what it's capable of

I've never tried this particular brand or type, but I'd say a 130mm reflector is generically a scope of decent capability. You're the one to find this out of course - it's definitely worth a try, so get out and use it! :happy11:

11 minutes ago, MauriceN said:

it's an entry level telescope I assume?

Perhaps, but I think you can get a lot of good, worthwhile observing done with it. Just try it out.

2 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I've never tried this particular brand or type, but I'd say a 130mm reflector is generically a scope of decent capability. You're the one to find this out of course - it's definitely worth a try, so get out and use it! :happy11:

Perhaps, but I think you can get a lot of good, worthwhile observing done with it. Just try it out.

Do you know anything more about the mount? Would installing a motor drive or auto guide be possible/worth the investment? I want to get into astrophotography and I'm still looking for where to start.

Just now, MauriceN said:

Do you know anything more about the mount? Would installing a motor drive or auto guide be possible/worth the investment? I want to get into astrophotography and I'm still looking for where to start.

Ah, I understand. I'm not into AP myself, but I have the fullest respect for those who are or want to be.

I'm sorry I don't have any information about the mount, whether it can be motorized, etc.

I do know that you should first of all read the book: Making Every Photon Count.

That should give you a lot more information about what you're getting into.

There are many AP friends here, I'm sure you can get more information if you post a bit more specifically in a sub-forum related to AP.

Good luck and have fun in your quest.

Just now, iPeace said:

Ah, I understand. I'm not into AP myself, but I have the fullest respect for those who are or want to be.

I'm sorry I don't have any information about the mount, whether it can be motorized, etc.

I do know that you should first of all read the book: Making Every Photon Count.

That should give you a lot more information about what you're getting into.

There are many AP friends here, I'm sure you can get more information if you post a bit more specifically in a sub-forum related to AP.

Good luck and have fun in your quest.

Thanks for the advice! I looked up the book on several online book dealers but can't seem to get it here in Germany. Do you know any alternatives to that book?

130mm is basically a 5" reflector . It should do you nicely if all your going to do is observe . I have a Bushnell same size and it's a great little scope . Limited at some things but with a 25mm , 18mm or 12mm Plossi you can get some nice views of the planets but add a 2x barlow and it helps quite abit . Nebulaes that are large are nice viewing too for example M42 the Orion Nebulae looks good with detail . Now the mount looks like it could be the German EQ5 or EQ4 . If so I believe you can get tracking motors to work with this mount but you need to know exactly which mount it is to get the correct motors . The legs are more updated than the old german mount legs as long as they are 2" legs . Can't tell from the image but they might also be 1.5" which still works but not as steady as 2" .  This scope works best if it's collimated right . The one I have was my first good scope and I did a lot of observing with it for my first year . Later I upgrade to a C8 but I still have my Bushnell boxed in original box . That was bought in 1996 . I didn't like the eye pieces that came with it so I bought some better EPs' at the time and they gave much better views  !

1 minute ago, celestron8g8 said:

It should do you nicely if all your going to do is observe .

So it's not really suited for astrophotography? Would getting the right telescope first be a better start than upgrading that one with a motor for example?

1 minute ago, celestron8g8 said:

I didn't like the eye pieces that came with it so I bought some better EPs' at the time and they gave much better views  !

Do you have any recommendations for a low budget <100? (a little bit more if it's really worth it is ok as well)

I imaged Jupiter once before and it turned out decent but small but had color and the two main belts showed . But for deep sky you probably could do some good nebulaes that are big with the proper camera but if you have the funds and want to get into AP I might suggest you go with a better scope and bigger . Others here can help you with that better than me cause I haven't done AP in quite a while . As far as EPs' in the economy range a couple good Plossis' and a 2x barlow will help with better viewing . I like Celestron EPs' especially the 25mm with a barlow . Has good eye relief and shows decent size on planets and the moon . But I wouldn't invest a lot into that scope if you want to AP . I got an event to go to so I can get back latter .

Maurice, Bresser Messier equipment is fairly decent kit - budget but good quality nonetheless.  The mount is exactly the same as the one I started with (I believe designated the Mon 2 now EXOS 2) and yes, most certainly it can be fitted with tracking motors.  If you feel particularly adventurous you could even convert it to a go-to scope by adding the likes of Tom Carpenter's ASTRO Eq kits https://www.astroeq.co.uk/tutorials.php  .    You certainly can do astro photography; good  for planetary work and even a toe in the water for some limited deep sky too  - no long exposure capability though as no guide function on the mount.    I'd get in touch with Telescope House, they are a UK dealer for Bresser telescopes and they will be able to advise you of the correct motor drive.  It's a good scope and a good mount - I would use it to get up to speed and then if you are still hungry for more then perhaps think about upgrading the mount.

Here's the motor and controller for the smaller version (mon1 ) now EXOS 1 Telescope House - EXO1 Motor Drive

Jim

8 minutes ago, saac said:

Maurice, Bresser Messier equipment is fairly decent kit - budget but good quality nonetheless.  The mount is exactly the same as the one I started with (I believe designated the Mon 2 now EXOS 2) and yes, most certainly it can be fitted with tracking motors.  If you feel particularly adventurous you could even convert it to a go-to scope by adding the likes of Tom Carpenter's ASTRO Eq kits https://www.astroeq.co.uk/tutorials.php  .    You certainly can do astro photography; good  for planetary work and even a toe in the water for some limited deep sky too  - no long exposure capability though as no guide function on the mount.    I'd get in touch with Telescope House, they are a UK dealer for Bresser telescopes and they will be able to advise you of the correct motor drive.  It's a good scope and a good mount - I would use it to get up to speed and then if you are still hungry for more then perhaps think about upgrading the mount.

Here's the motor and controller for the smaller version (mon1 ) now EXOS 1 Telescope House - EXO1 Motor Drive

Jim

Thank you very much! I'll take a look at the AstroEQ Kit, it seems really interesting.

Maurice,  Teleskop Service may also be worth talking to, I see they also do the motor drive for the Exos 1 but I couldn't find the drive for the Exos 2.  Again may be worth a telephone call - I've never used them but I believe they have a good reputation for service.

Jim 

Teleskop Service

I wouldn't go bigger for AP.

The 130P-DS is the same aperture, but shorter focal length and is an excellent choice for DSO imaging at about 600mm focal length.

With a 3x barlow and suitable camera that scope would also work well for planetary imaging.

My advice would be to start by imaging the moon and planets, but consider doing some short exposure DSO imaging (say up to 30 seconds - I was easily able to achieve this with my 1200mm focal length 150PL and EQ3 mount which is 'wobblier' than your setup - assuming good polar alignment).

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I wouldn't go bigger for AP.

The 130P-DS is the same aperture, but shorter focal length and is an excellent choice for DSO imaging at about 600mm focal length.

With a 3x barlow and suitable camera that scope would also work well for planetary imaging.

My advice would be to start by imaging the moon and planets, but consider doing some short exposure DSO imaging (say up to 30 seconds - I was easily able to achieve this with my 1200mm focal length 150PL and EQ3 mount which is 'wobblier' than your setup - assuming good polar alignment).

Would you recommend a monochrome or color ccd?

As a novice comment isn't the length of exposure limited by the focal length, so shorter focal length telescope/camera lens extends out the exposure length without the need for guiding where guiding is not an available option?

16 minutes ago, saac said:

Maurice,  Teleskop Service may also be worth talking to, I see they also do the motor drive for the Exos 1 but I couldn't find the drive for the Exos 2.  Again may be worth a telephone call - I've never used them but I believe they have a good reputation for service.

Jim 

Teleskop Service

No problem! I'll give them a call.

1 hour ago, MauriceN said:

Would you recommend a monochrome or color ccd?

Very hard to judge, also I think we are at a tipping point where there's nothing material to chose between CCD and CMOS at any particular price point. With British weather, I think OSC makes some sense for DSOs, unless you really want to do narrowband. I don't know if you get plenty of long runs of clear weather in Germany?

For planets, it's difficult. These images were taken on two nights, one of each planet is OSC, one is mono.

Jupiter LRGB4.png

Saturn 22 June 18.png

Jupiter  1.png

Saturn LRGB.png

Archived