Heq5 tracking rate planetary

Dammit, this will be why my Star Discovery won't track Jupiter when I set it to Solar track - I had mistakenly assumed it was for Solar System objects.

ETA:

Actually thinking about it I was being an idiot if I thought the Moon and planets all moved at the same rate against the sky, but nevermind :)

On 15/06/2018 at 15:32, Spikey said:

No, it's still sidereal rate to counteract the Earths rotation. The exceptions being the Moon and the Sun which have a different tracking rate.

This was a question I was going to ask until I did a search and found this thread. Thanks for the answer. I did sort of suspect this and is what I had been doing but still thought it was only an approximation but good enough for imaging short exposure frames. 

I am guessing that sidereal rate is not 100% the correct rate but close enough, would that be right?

Steve

15 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

This was a question I was going to ask until I did a search and found this thread. Thanks for the answer. I did sort of suspect this and is what I had been doing but still thought it was only an approximation but good enough for imaging short exposure frames. 

I am guessing that sidereal rate is not 100% the correct rate but close enough, would that be right?

Steve

You are quite right Steve, You'll be fine with sidereal.

Archived