SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13 - testing a bunch of new stuff, with a big thumbs up for Registar

geoflewis

47 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Ah OK - that's interesting.  I wonder if there would be a further improvement if you used RegiStar for all of the subs alignment?  Be interesting to see if there was a perceptible difference...

You know what, I was thinking the exactly the same as I wrote my previous note, but I wondered whether that might have an impact on calibration, i.e. the alignment of light frames with the calibration frames might be compromised. I could of course calibrate the light frames in ImagesPlus first, then take those into Registar for accurate alignment, then back into ImagesPlus for final align and combine, but that's a very messy process compared with loading all my light frames and calibration frames in ImagesPlus and hitting GO......

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

You know what, I was thinking the exactly the same as I wrote my previous note, but I wondered whether that might have an impact on calibration, i.e. the alignment of light frames with the calibration frames might be compromised. I could of course calibrate the light frames in ImagesPlus first, then take those into Registar for accurate alignment, then back into ImagesPlus for final align and combine, but that's a very messy process compared with loading all my light frames and calibration frames in ImagesPlus and hitting GO......

Yes I'd have thought you'd want to be registering the calibrated frames.  It's one of the reasons I don't use RegiStar in my regular workflow as I can't be bothered to do the calibration in PixInsight (which prefers it's own file type), then do the registration in RegiStar and go back to PI for stacking etc.  However, I am curious to see what the outcome would be and I've never tried it so I'll give it a go when I have a minute...

Edited by x6gas
  • Like 1

A very fine image! The original seems the best to me, nice and natural. Good to see the difference that registar has made - I normally get the stacking software to align my channels but that's not perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shibby said:

A very fine image! The original seems the best to me, nice and natural. Good to see the difference that registar has made - I normally get the stacking software to align my channels but that's not perfect.

Thanks Shibby, by original do you mean the one at the start of this thread?