Taming DeWalt's electrickery

Rusted

Thanks very much. :thumbsup:

And thanks to all who responded. Grateful that you all shared your expertise.

Bit of a detour from making domes so thanks to the mods too for their patience.

Regards

Chris

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Axminster unit looks good if you can place it in a suitable place.  The cost is negligible compared to your personal safety.  Always go for "safety first".  I would spend ten times that or more for my personal safety.  Have to say I'm surprised at De Walt as they are usually a very good make and that seems to be "penny pinching".

Another way would be to install a 'dead-mans' switch, i.e. unless you are holding a switch closed, all power would be removed.

Something like a foot operated device e.g. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOOT-PEDAL-SWITCH-TREADLE-MACHINE-CONTROL-AUTOMATION-TOE-GUARD-FULL-GUARD-/253457584911) May lose some 'convenience' but at least you'll know everything is safe. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Another way would be to install a 'dead-mans' switch, i.e. unless you are holding a switch closed, all power would be removed.

With a saw table, if you are likely to be walking to and fro to collect and stack timber you wouldn't want that as the motor on a table like that will overheat if started too often.

I did play it safe in the end: :thumbsup:

I went with a large, mechanical "paddle" to directly press the original OFF button. NO wiring mods.

A steel roofing plate was shaped to fit a cut down hinge which sits under the original switch panel.

No bodywork mods to undermine the guarantee. Uses the original switch fixing screws.

Plenty of rocking plate surface area to reach in a hurry. Projects more than the original OFF switch for easy access. 

Held securely to avoid any risk of failure or slippage.

Short movement to kill the power using a large, domed head, adjustable height, stainless steel, carriage screw.

It took longer to make the large hole for easily reaching the green On switch than making the rest.

My largest drill for steel is only 16mm so there was a lot of filing involved.

I should have drilled a daisy chain ring instead but foolishly persevered with the big round file.

I'll shorten the stainless steel screws and fit Nyloc nuts to ensure it stays put once I'm satisfied.

The hinge is deliberately skewed to carry the plate away from the projecting Q/R stand support.

I'll face the plate with some bright red plastic. It looks a bit crude at the moment but works perfectly.

Never did hear back from DeWalt UK regarding swapping to the US pattern paddle switch.

They must be too embarrassed to answer.  :icon_clown:

Thanks again to all who responded.

P1320951 rsz 500.jpg

Finished off my switch operating paddle with a secondhand cutting board.

Its fine texture is excellent for confirming I have found the correct surface.

I made it larger than the steel plate to allow a knee press to switch off the saw.

I am delighted with the mod so far as I cut up more 4mm birch ply for dome panels. :thumbsup:

P1320997 rsz 500.JPG

P1320998 rsz 500.JPG

Archived