Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orientation of view

This has been exercising my puny brain for a while and wonder if anyone can shed some light ...

The attached image from the GONG site shows a nice prom on the left of the image. Using my Lunt 60 I would have expected it to appear where I have drawn (badly) an X - left/right swap. However, it appears where I have drawn (even worse) a Y.

It's not a problem and I know all the stuff about 'no up or down in space' but I'm curious. Can anyone enlighten me as to why it's not just a straight left-to-right, please?

Untitled.png

Is it because the gong image shows north at the top, south at the bottom for a nice and easy orriention to look at, whereas in your Lunt scope EP the actual tilt of the sun is angle from your point of view? Image from Skysafari is flipped horizontally to match the view in a refractor. In this case the prom will seem to be further up on the right hand side of the sun because of it orientation that you view it from.

0039EB32-4108-45A0-8F00-6CEC3FCE13E9.thumb.png.295dddbf0b22c942340261a9d666053b.png

Thanks for the quick replies, folks.

Rusted, I checked and rechecked all those things and don’t think that’s involved. Thanks, nevertheless.

Gus, that’s more than plausible and would explain things very well. ? Thanks.

Archived