Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It is worth replacing 8" SCT CGEM to CPC?

Hi All,

I'm considering putting my Nexstar 8SE and CGEM with GPS on eBay and putting the money from that to replace those with a Celestron CPC800 on a EQ wedge.

The SCT will be basically the same thing, so I can still use my accessories with it as I do currently but the mount will be a equatorially mounted fork mount.

My question is does anyone have any experience with the CPC mount and, more importantly, its tracking accuracy when compared to the CGEM (or similar), and is it worth the upgrade/replacement?

I like the idea of NO MERIDIAN FLIP.

I can say that i've owned the CPC1100 and if it weren't for its hulking size i would not have sold it, the SkyAlign technology didn't so much as glitch and stayed on target faithfully every single time with every object.

It was flawless so long as i have owned it for, i kind of miss its ease of use and target accuracy, it really was bang on every time and i was surprised.

As for tracking accuracy, i only used it in Alt Az mode, and even then assuming my bubble was centred and the lock knob wasn't messed with it stayed on target almost dead centre for a good while, longer than i expected for a fork

mounted scope in Alt Az mode.

I very much enjoyed it, and never once over a 4 hours long session did i say "hey its not on target anymore" was great!

22 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I can say that i've owned the CPC100 and if it weren't for its hulking size i would not have sold it, the SkyAlign technology didn't so much as glitch and stayed on target faithfully every single time with every object.

It was flawless so long as i have owned it for, i kind of miss its ease of use and target accuracy, it really was bang on every time and i was surprised.

As for tracking accuracy, i only used it in Alt Az mode, and even then assuming my bubble was centred and the lock knob wasn't messed with it stayed on target almost dead centre for a good while, longer than i expected for a fork

mounted scope in Alt Az mode.

I very much enjoyed it, and never once over a 4 hours long session did i say "hey its not on target anymore" was great!

Thanks for the response.... would be a awesome upgrade by the sounds of your comment.

Archived