Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Software for mount exercises...

coatesg

A couple of years back at IAS, there was a stall with a scope+mount in a sample rolloff obs doing continuous "exercises" (ie it was doing a series of slews one after the other all around the sky). Fairly sure there was a display on screen of the positions/track the mount was following round the sky.

I'm after something similar for some mount testing (it needs to drive a Gemini unit via ASCOM) - anyone got any idea what the software could have been? 

(I suppose I could script something similar if needed, but if there's a software package available to do it, that sounds like a lot less trouble...)

Cheers

Not sure, but here is idea (it does involve a bit of work / scripting) - Stellarium has "tour" scripts - that tour the night sky for objects (like Messier tour, ....)

I don't know if those can issue move commands via stellarium scope or similar (there is also telescope plugin, you have to check compatibility) - but I think that can also be scripted - so you can change that script and give a set of coordinates for a good workout.

Thanks. My alternative plan would be to script with python and Ascom - would be nice to find out the original software though. May have been driving an ASA mount, but can't be sure...

There's no need to go through the ASCOM interface at all. You can simply send serial commands directly to the mount. I've done this many times with both Gemini and A-P mount controllers as well as my Optec focuser using only a modem control program. I've also got scripts linked to buttons on my desktop which will send Park Home and Park CWD commands to my G11. An open-loop sequence script would be a trivial exercise in the Linux environment that I use, while closing the loop by reading status back from the mount would add only a bit more complexity. I presume that should be the case in Windows as well, though I wouldn't have the smallest idea as to how to go about writing one.

Yes - that's true. I am fairly sure I've done ASCOM from python via the win32com module before, but going via pyserial may work too. I can go via the UDP interface to Gemini 2 as it's not actually connected directly to the PC that controls it.

Though, given I have a G1 and a G2, ASCOM at least provides a consistent interface.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived