Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APM Eyepieces

My first steps into premium eyepieces have come with the purchase of a APM HDC - 100 Degree 20mm and a Lunt HDC - 100 Degree 9mm. I believe there's no difference between them with one being branded APM and the other Lunt. These eyepieces seem to be getting a reputation of rivaling Ethos performance but at less than half the cost! I've been reading a few threads over on CN where a representative from APM is discussing and seeking feedback on upcoming eyepieces. I've even seen one of the eyepiece designers answering technical questions that are way beyond my understanding!

I'm excited by one of their upcoming eyepieces (http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/eyepieces/more-74-ultra-wide-angle/apm-lunt-eyepieces/apm-high-eyerelief-flat-wide-90-degree-12.5-mm-eyepiece.html) which appears to be very similar to the 12.5mm Docter but, again, about half the cost. They also recently released a 30mm 75 degree eyepiece which is supposed to be a good alternative to ES82 30mm. The thread I read seemed to imply that there wouldn't be a big difference in usable TFOV despite a 7 degree difference in AFOV. The technical reasons were explained but went over my head! http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/eyepieces/58-74-wide-angle/apm-ultra-flat-eyepieces/apm-ultra-flat-field-24mm-eyepiece-65-fov.html

I don't see APM mentioned that often in eyepiece threads but I get the impression they've very much one to watch. Does anyone else have much experience with this manufacturer?

My TMB designed, LZOS optics, 130mm F/9.2 triplet refractor was put together by APM :smiley:

I don't think they make their own eyepieces though - they use 3rd party manufacturers.

The Lunt name is part owned by Markus Ludes who is the person behind APM.

I like my APM frac. The owner, Markus,  comes across as extremely proactive and I think they are a very positive force in a small marketplace.

Your new eyepieces are certainly highly regarded and I hope you enjoy them!

Simon

35 minutes ago, John said:

My TMB designed, LZOS optics, 130mm F/9.2 triplet refractor was put together by APM :smiley:

I don't think they make their own eyepieces though - they use 3rd party manufacturers.

The Lunt name is part owned by Markus Ludes who is the person behind APM.

Aaah it’s Markus who was talking to people on CN about eyepieces. It certainly appears that Markus is employing designers for new eyepieces even if they’re using third party manufacturers 

Markus's first foray into eyepiece design was cloning the 30mm Widescan II (or III?) which became the various 30mm 80 degree eyepieces out there.  Others picked up on the copy and made their own modifications such as adding lens and spacer blackening.  I don't know if it was one Chinese factory or multiple over the years because I've seen both chrome and black barrelled versions.

Markus is dedicated to astronomy and very enthusiastic about it.  He's had his detractors over the years, but he's also had his supporters.  Overall, I'd say he's earned his place in astronomy gear by always striving to source either the best available wherever he has to source it from or by sourcing the best priced very good quality gear.  He's not satisfied with merely selling gear every other dealer is selling.

My TMB/LZOS/APM 130 triplet is 12 years old. I bought it pre-owned in 2016 and the owner had mislaid the documentation and the lens testing data that is supplied with each scope when purchased new. I dropped an e.mail to Markus with the serial number of the objective lens and within 24 hours he had e.mailed me a scan of the original tests. I believe he keeps copies of them for all instruments APM have sold, or at least all that bear the APM branding.

He was also able to tell me exactly how many had been made since they were introduced in 2005 (answer = 105 scopes) and how many more will be made before production ceases (answer = 9 scopes). Useful stuff to know :smiley:

7 minutes ago, John said:

My TMB/LZOS/APM 130 triplet is 12 years old. I bought it pre-owned in 2016 and the owner had mislaid the documentation and the lens testing data that is supplied with each scope when purchased new. I dropped an e.mail to Markus with the serial number of the objective lens and within 24 hours he had e.mailed me a scan of the original tests. I believe he keeps copies of them for all instruments APM have sold, or at least all that bear the APM branding.

He was also able to tell me exactly how many had been made since they were introduced in 2005 (answer = 105 scopes) and how many more will be made before production ceases (answer = 9 scopes). Useful stuff to know :smiley:

That's awesome. I certainly got the impression from his posts on CN that he takes a lot of pride in the kit they produce and seemed to be personally testing the prototypes. I can't really comment on the eyepiece quality versus the big names as I don't have any experience of them. I did just read a thread that put the 30mm 75 degree eyepiece in the same league as the Pentax XW 30mm which is impressive given the APM is much cheaper.

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

.... I did just read a thread that put the 30mm 75 degree eyepiece in the same league as the Pentax XW 30mm which is impressive given the APM is much cheaper.

If it's in that league then it's pretty good and at least it's available. Since they went out of production the 2" Pentax XW's have become like hens teeth and if they do come up the prices are very "full" to use Estate Agent speak.

6 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

The 30mm APM is called 70° by the seller, though its 38.0mm field stop is compatible with 72°.

Thanks Don. I noticed it’s now listed at 75 degree on the APM website. What are your thoughts on this eyepiece as lighter/cheaper alternative to the 31mm Nagler or ES82 30mm? The small loss of AFOV does bother me a little bit but it’s not a deal breaker!

It's a good eyepiece, but I don't think it's quite in the same league as the others you mention.

As you mention, it's smaller, lighter, and less expensive.

The difference is primarily in the outer field.  It might be a decent complement to the Morpheus lineup.

I found it a lot better than the 31mm Hyperion though.

Archived