Offsetting OTA in fork mount to balance

Horwig

I've recently put a heavier focuser on my fork mounted truss Newtonian, the focuser hangs down from the OTA so I'm considering offsetting the whole OTA upwards to counteract it so I can reduce the counterweight I need, ie, the centre of rotation would not be across the centre of the optical axis, what effect if any would this have on my go-tos and pointing?

Huw

I imagine that when you star align the scope, there should be no problems with pointing or GOTO accuracy... You might find that with less counter weights after offsetting the center of gravity that it might actually improve the tracking and fluidity of the mount.

8 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

You might find that with less counter weights after offsetting the center of gravity that it might actually improve the tracking and fluidity of the mount.

Yes that was the hope, I've got a 2.5Kg counterweight at the moment, that should come down considerably.

Thanks

Huw

I believe that's the way to go.  I have had two and three scopes mounted side by side and go-to, pointing and tracking has been fine.

Archived