Trouble and Strife

wookie1965

My son said to me are you not going out tonight why its clear, I said I cant with my back and hip, he said how about if set up for you so I said give it a try. After much faffing I put the right angled finder with adapter I use on the polar scope so I dont have to bend down and polar aligned, son put scope and weight on checked alignment and off we go so I thought.

Aligned with Capella and Vega and I always try a couple of familiar objects make sure I am lined up M13 nowhere M92 again nowhere so I am thinking what the hell going on. Go to Vega centre object that should sort it. Went to Arcturus nowhere near again was getting fed up and was going to pack up but thought lets do a two star alignment again Vega and Caster straight to M13 again bang on M57 there was the ring so now I can start. Only a few as was in pain gone 12 by now still not really dark but give it try.

1 Bootes twins yellow /white easy in the BST 15mm 

Σ1812  SAO 0832 19 had to use 11mm Televue Yellow/Orange with a delicate red companion.

Σ1825 SAO 0832 59 very close only got it in the BST 8mm with averted vision Yellow/orange primary with silver secondary touching.

Σ1835   Ra  14h 23.4"  Dec +08° 27` lovely colour here yellow/white with a blue companion.

Σ1884  SAO 0835 35 could not split these could see yellow/orange star and knew it was a double (peanut) but could not split it with a 5mm BST.

Σ1886   Ra 14h 51.0" Dec +09° 43` close pair used the 8mm white and yellow.

ΟΣ 298  SAO 0648 00     lovely pale orange twins 

Over to Coma Berenices

2 Cb  Ra 12h 04.3"   Dec +21° 27` Had to use 11mm here white with  dull orange/yellow companion

Σ1663  Ra 12h 20.6"  Dec +27° 03` pair of  off white twins.

12 Cb  SAO 0822 73 nice yellow and blue pair here nice colours

17 Cb SAO 0823 30  wide blue/white and white 

24 Cb  SAO 1001 60 lovely yellow and blue Albireo like pair

Σ1685 SAO 1003 07  not sure if I got this i could see a pair of stars and another below the main pair not sure if that is the triple, the pair looked whitish.

On to Corona Borealis for the last few.

Σ1964 SAO 0648 34  pair of twins and on the left of the FOV could see another pair after a quick research believe these where Zeta Corona B

Sigma Corona B  SAO 0651 65  multiple star system here the double being a yellow with a red/purple secondary and the third component was white.

HV 38 SAO 0652 62 this was really close a delicate companion with averted vision.

Just to finish off and the highlight of the night for me.

M 13 seen this better in the 8 inch could not see any individual stars.

M 92 smaller more compact still could not see any individual stars.

M 57 used the 8 mm BST and UHC filter lovely smoke ring.

Tried the Leo triple no luck again

Now the highlight M 51 not expecting see anything saw a shadow the shape of the galaxy thought I am wishful thinking used the handset and pressed up the shadow moved yes yes yes I could see M 51 for the first time from home in my Tal well any scope.

I had looked at Jupiter earlier but it was a watery mess.

That was it 1.30 and my son packed everything away for me still in pain but thanks to him I got out there.

Archived