Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron starsence hand set.

Hi got hold of the latest starsence handset with the usb connection.

The original has the latest update so is it worth using the new version of the hand set (what is the differences if any

regards

I assume the difference is in convenience of updating the firmware. The previous model requires a serial cable and, in most cases, a USB to serial adapter (and software driver) since many modern PCs, especially laptops, no longer have a serial port.   Assuming that it works properly, the change in specification seems long overdue.

I think the only difference is the built in USB connector. With the old handset you need a dedicated USB-Serial adaptor for updates or remote control. Otherwise I think everything is the same. I use the old handset.

I might be wrong, but my belief is that the 'Serial to USB adapter' is now directly inside the HC and not in the external adapter. You might need only a USB cable, but It is still a serial device and you will still need the relevant driver. This is to ensure backwards compatibility.

Noah I think your right, pretty sure it's still a serial device but they have put the USB connector in for you. So yes, still need to find the correct driver. 

Archived