Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a wasted evening - fighting with the synscan wifi gadget

11 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

I've had one since December. For the most part it's excellent- quicker to set up and more accurate as time and location are set very accurately. Interface to sky safari is great. 2 problems though:

-works great when home WiFi is either strong or not present, but struggles to switch between modes when the signal is weak.

- had some problems back in Jan/Feb in the very cold. Touchscreens don't seem to work so well below about -2/-3 or so- either not detecting a touch or responding to touches I didn't make!

So I don't use it at the bottom of the garden or when it's really cold!

If you buy a physical keyboard - Blu Tooth or mini USB that has cursor buttons, and link it to your device, that will solve the touch screen problem for direction keys at least. Perhaps also typing generally. 

I dislike WiFi generally, much prefer cables (and physical buttons to press). 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brown Dwarf

I never push my 250p. It has always been less accurate on 'goto' than when you slew it after having pushed it. Somewhere on one of these threads in the distant past there was a tech discussion on  the reason for this.

I always slew using the handset or wifi unit.

I have other problems related to pads I have been using with the wifi unit but, with the unit, I find that accuracy is very much improved and not being tied to the rig is a massive boon in my obs.

Still having an issue up and right at end when doing star alignment to save

Other night was out doing a presentation for a school, and did not bother with star alignment after aligning EQ5 mount with a compass

Went to Utilities, Deep Sky, Planets, selected Jupiter, and scope was a couple of degrees out, did alignment using arrow buttons, and scoped tracked all night

• 3 months later...

Hello. Maybe it is an offset problem. With Android phone I didn't have any problems. With Win 10 laptop, for some reason, there is sometimes a several offset error in the initial position. Go to information, choose coordinates and check initial values. I solved the problem by first selecting az, then disconnecting and selecting eq mode. The offset error was reset! Have no idea why it arises, but in this way you can reset the error. Found by accident. Cheers. 

Archived