Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wow... How insane!

RichieJarvis

For those that don't know, I am in Beijing, China right now for work.

So, I thought to myself that the prices for Astro-gear here should be rock bottom, as plenty of kit is made locally.

How wrong I was - for example, a Skywatcher EQ6 mount here is 9623RMB, or £814 - and thats before tax! Williams Optics scopes are even worse - according to their website, the FLT110 is priced at 29348RMB, or £2482, again before tax!

Maybe its the jetlag, but surely the shipping costs to the UK should at least make a bit of a difference in the retail price between the 2 countries?

Ah well, I guess another idea bites the dust :mrgreen:

Richie

Oh yeah - plenty is cheap here, as long as its 'knock-off'

Food is pretty cheap as well, as long as its not western food!

I was just amazed though - although one of my colleagues pointed out to me that Astronomy isn't a big pastime in China - outside the cities, people can't afford it, and in the cities, they all live in high-rises with plenty of light pollution, so I suppose it makes sense really.

I was just a little upset I couldn't get a cheap scope out here though. Probably for the best though, as the missus would have strung me up, no matter HOW cheap it was :undecided:

Cheers,

Richie

There's a Bloke based in HK who sells stuff on ebay (user name cnhot). Mostly eyepieces. They look all the world like Moonfish but without the logo and less than 1/2 the price if you are lucky. I got a 30mm wide angle from him. Nice quality, not bad performance and paid less than £40 inc. shipping. I've paid a lot more for a lot less.

I'm sure that I'd have thought the same as you did Richie, "Chinese made astro gear, would be mega cheap in Beijing", what a disappointment.

Once I knew where to look (away from the tourist shops) in Singapore, there was some very good buys to had on photographic gear.

Here in Western Australia, where I am at the moment, the is but one dedicated astro equipment retailer, and he only sells Skywatcher kit.

Dave

There's a Bloke based in HK who sells stuff on ebay (user name cnhot). Mostly eyepieces. They look all the world like Moonfish but without the logo and less than 1/2 the price if you are lucky. I got a 30mm wide angle from him. Nice quality, not bad performance and paid less than £40 inc. shipping. I've paid a lot more for a lot less.

I've dealt with him, and recommend him as a seller. I got a couple of diagonals, and some adapters from him.

Archived