Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright nova in Perseus

Having another look tonight. I think it seems a little brighter than Friday. The red colour might be even be a little bit more pronounced. Based on SkySafari, I believe the mag 9 star next to the Nova is SAO 39704. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had another look at V392 Per last night. It seemed visibly dimmer than my memory of it 2 nights ago. The star next to it appeared to be about the same magnitude in my untrained eyes which would make V392 about mag 9.3 at the moment.

I had another look at this nova last night. It would be good if someone else could take a look as I don't trust my magnitude comparisons, being inexperienced. The star is still easily visible and I estimate that it's about mag 10, maybe a little bit brighter.

I didn’t get a chance to observe it last night but got mag 10.0 visually on Sunday night. You can see recent estimates on the AAVSO website 

https://www.aavso.org/apps/webobs/results/?star=V392 PER&num_results=200

Look for the few marked as Vis for comparison, but always make your estimate first. I’d say your observation seems pretty good ?

James

It was quite difficult to see V392 Per last night at the time I was trying (11.30pm). The summer glow of the northern horizon had reduced the limiting magnitude of my telescope. However, eventually I could make out the star and comparing it to a reference star I reckon that the nova is now at mag 10.7. It is considerably dimmer than the 9.3 magnitude star next to it. I'm not sure if I'll get another chance to see it with the summer solstice fast approaching.

Archived