Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

asi1600 or asi294?

alacant

40 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

What kind of filters do you plan to use with OSC camera?

With my dslr, unless I'm somewhere dark, I use moon and skyglow or a cls. If I put a cls on the nosepiece, I have fewer stars on the oag. But I maybe imagining that as I don't think a cls cuts out anything that stars emit (?). I'd use the same for the OSC I think.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, alacant said:

With my dslr, unless I'm somewhere dark, I use moon and skyglow or a cls. If I put a cls on the nosepiece, I have fewer stars on the oag. But I maybe imagining that as I don't think a cls cuts out anything that stars emit (?).

Depending on type of filter, it will cut more or less of light from stars. For example, Astronomik CLS filter has following response curve:

astronomik_cls_trans.png

As you see, it cuts everything below 450 and between 540 and 650. In comparison (the one I use for combating LP), Hutech IDAS LPS P2

lps-p2_new-response-curve-e1394127003950

Cuts less light. What is common in both of these filters is that they cut out LP (at least they should, that is what they were designed to do), and although star might be less bright, it will have higher SNR - again something good for guiding.

You can mount LPS filter after OAG, I've done it, but since I switched to RGB filters and Mono, I changed from 1.25" LPS filter in front of the sensor, to 2" LPS filter at the beginning of imaging train (and regular filters in front of sensor).

On 28/04/2018 at 22:03, ollypenrice said:

I don't like to post negative criticism of other imagers' work but if the M81/82 image were mine I'd be thinking that it was very colour cold and that there was limited Ha from the cigar galaxy. I'd also be thinking about how to find more contrast in the upper end of the brightness range. I don't know how much the camera has to do with this - well depth etc etc. I'm just trying to answer your question.

What I do find myself wondering, though, is why you'd want to saddle yourself with the difficulties of using an RGGB matrix throughout the month, irrespective of the state of the moon.

Olly

To be fair he opened the data up to others and the image shown is not his original its someones attempt with his data, his original processing was only shown on flicker and did not so look blue tinted.

Also its 4 hours total capture time. For me that is an impressive amount of IFN for a OSC that only costs 1000 pounds.  

Archived