Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advantage of full aperture filter over Herschel wedge

domstar

I bought a full aperture sun filter with the thought that if I enjoyed white light observing, I'd pretty quickly get a 1.25 inch Herschel wedge, but I think I've changed my mind. Firstly because I'm extremely surprised and happy by the detail I'm able to see. Secondly, while I was observing at around 12.30 today from the balcony, the lady from the flat above me shook her dusty blanket over the side. I involuntarily squealed and asked her not to do it and she said she thought it was OK if it wasn't dark. Then I remembered the front filter. Maybe a filter on the front can be quite useful, especially in times of high pollen.

Apart from relative cheapness, the only advantage I can think of for using a full aperture pre-filter is that it keeps heat out of the internal lightpath of the telescope. Having said that nobody seems to complain about internal heat spoiling the view with a solar wedge.  :icon_biggrin:

How much better is the detail visible with a herschel wedge compared to a full aperture filter? If one were to articulate it in terms of what size aperture scope with a full aperture filter would show the same detail as say a 100mm scope with a herschel wedge is it possible to say/guesstimate?

Archived