Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Autoguiding system

Hey all,

Looking for a cheap auto guiding system that I could implement sometime in the future, second hand is always good if it's an available option. Right now I don't have the Go-To or enhanced motor drives on my EQ-5, so I have to get those as well. 

So far I am looking at these four options:

5ad9fed973625_ScreenShot2018-04-20at7_19_39AM.png.83d204f7788e6e386494399273fd2852.png

I think the first option with the 80mm guide scope may be too heavy for my EQ5

The best option is probably the third one as it is the cheapest.

Let me know what you think, or if there is a cheaper route.

33 minutes ago, daz said:

Those drives are ST4 only (I *think*) so you'll need to make sure your chosen solution can output ST4

I'm pretty sure that all of the hardware supports ST4, are computers able to take ST4 directly or do they need an adapter?

With ST4 you connect the camera to computer via USB then use a ST4 cable from camera to mount. So you'll be fine.

Overall I'm not a fan of either guide rings nor finder mounts for guide scopes as they are candidates for flexure but you don't have many options in your budget. I would also go with your option 3, not just for price but also as it is a fast f/ratio and the pixel scale ratio should match your imaging scope quite well. A couple of cautions - the ASI120MM  (USB2 version) does not play well with USB3 - the ASI120MM-S is recommended in that situation. Or you may want to look at the equivalent QHY offering. Also, you'll need to make sure the adjusting screws are well secured to minimise flexure.

On 4/21/2018 at 04:24, bobro said:

Adding an AstroEQ as an upgrade (replaces the simple handset for the motors) will provide goto and guiding. Makes finding targets soooo much easier using goto.

Im assuming the Dual axis motor drive are required for this?

6 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Im assuming the Dual axis motor drive are required for this?

Yes, AstroEQ requires stepper motors and works with the SkyWatcher motors (amongst others). The SkyWatcher simple handset isn't used with AstroEQ - if the motors can be obtained on their own you could go straight to goto using AstroEQ, saving the cost of the simple handset.

11 minutes ago, bobro said:

Yes, AstroEQ requires stepper motors and works with the SkyWatcher motors (amongst others). The SkyWatcher simple handset isn't used with AstroEQ - if the motors can be obtained on their own you could go straight to goto using AstroEQ, saving the cost of the simple handset.

Useful to know, that could save a lot of money.

Archived