SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Transatlantic Milkyway

Coming back from a business trip via Washington, got a right hand window seat, was slight disappointed as I was hoping to glimpse some autorae  or maybe a STEVE (see space weather for amazing shots).. Pleasantly surprised that Virgin don’t unnecessarily light up the outside of their planes allowing good viewing.. Plenty of stars visible once dark adapted and internal lights suitably shielded. Jupiter rising in southern Virgo, then Scorpio,  a constellation I rarely ever see anything of from the U.K. Then the  milkyway started to rise, noting the Scutum  star cloud and checking SkySafari for noting the blobs of nebulosity that I could pick up strung along below (though some averted vision was needed). I think I might have also picked up the pipe nebulae… a possible dark stripe in the right place. I wonder if any optical aid could be deployed in this situation?
Finally mars and Saturn rising just before we hit the brightening dawn. A most pleasant view, makes me want to find locations I can get a repeat view.. but this time with more time and some bins!

PEter

PS No, although I had a few extra inches of legroom and innumerable postures I was unable to actually get any sleep... so am now somewhat zombielike.

Next year we're flying to NY for a few days, then sailing back on the Queen Mary II. I am definitely taking my Barr & Stroud 10 x 42s for the trip home. I just hope they turn all the deck lights off at some point of the night.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Plenty of stars visible once dark adapted and internal lights suitably shielded.

Well, this, of course, is another answer to our clouded out skies problem – an alternative to having a remote scope, or moving abroad – simply use an aeroplane (balloon?) as a mount.  NASA does it already, but a bit pricey, although no doubt less than FLO's Hubble offering.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived