Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS imaging questions

Hi, I've got a great opportunity to get a shot of the ISS tonight, in a bit over an hour in fact - so left this a bit late - but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a good shot?

It is going to pass in front of Regulus for me, just off the Moon, so the plan is to simply track Regulus, have everything setup and ready to go, and then just wait for the ISS to come into my field of view and take the picture.  

I have eyeballed it in a similar scenario a few years ago, and it went through the FOV incredibly quickly, so I'm not sure I trust my camera's response time and shutter mechanism to fire the camera in that less than a second.  So I'm thinking I'll just take a video and hopefully have a few frames from it.

Any thoughts on focus?

Thanks for any advice!

Video is a good idea, 60FPS if poss.  use the moon for a focus target (the 9pm pass is mag-3.7 i think, so not as bright as the moon but much more than regulus, so watch the exposure setting).  You don't say what scope or camera lens you are using...but good luck..!  You could try tracking it through the viewfinder with the video running, clutches slackened so the mount moves freely -  you may get extra frames that way..  but practice that a bit before it gets to the optimum position..

38 minutes ago, Revaron said:

Hi, I've got a great opportunity to get a shot of the ISS tonight, in a bit over an hour in fact

Thanks for the heads up. Grabbing the bins and off outside to see if I can catch a glimpse of it! :thumbsup:

Yeah here in Shrewsbury it does look like it might actually transit it!!!  A bit misty here now, but nothing showstopping just yet.  Just getting dark enough to hopefully get a good alignment now, so fingers crossed it all comes off!  Just to add to the suspense, Stellarium is showing a supply capsule trailing behind.  Thanks for the pointers!!!

Wow,... i decided it was too misty for the photo, so used the bins, and it looked great, but did you see the other satellite tracking behind it about 15deg?  almost exactly same trajectory..

just going to look it up..

4 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

nice!  did you see the other one also?

I didn't. To be honest I wasn't looking for the other one. I just kept watch towards Orion then tracked ISS until it went out of sight. It went almost directly overhead here in Torquay. 

I saw it!  It was very misty, but got a video, looks like it'll be blurred in the stills, but still very pleased.  Got the support capsule as well, Stellarium is saying it's Progress MS-07, which appears to be the Russian supply capsule just beginning it's return to earth - awesome!!!

the only other one i can find is on starwalk, and it shows as the ERBS - Earth Radiation Budget Satellite!  although the trajectory doesn't look the same..

the ISS was really bright - well illuminated should make a good photo finger crossed!

Yeah looking good for another chance tomorrow although not quite as easy as tonight, the weather is looking very iffy as well but who knows.  

On my vid I've got something resembling the space station, but very elongated!  It blurred, the camera was set to 24 fps which is apparently too slow, but unfortunately the camera only goes up to 30fps.  If I get a crack at it tomorrow night will set up for a photo at 1/100th or thereabouts and try and time a burst to get a shot.  It was very bright as well, might try it with a moon filter next time.  Still really pleased with tonight's capture though at any rate!

Archived