SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice needed on white light solar film observing

domstar

Hi everyone,

I've just received some solar film and been out looking at the sun. I saw a lovely white circle. My question is - how do I know when I am in focus ( I am within the range ) and will I see only a white circle unless there are sun spots? From what I've read here, we are not exactly blessed at the moment with sun spot activity, so is there anything else to observe with this equipment? It's beautiful to be out there anyway.

It is very tricky to focus without Sunspots.  They tend to be like buses, none for ever then a whole bunch of them!  To be fair we are passing through the Solar minimum at the moment so there will be quite a few spotless days.  If you look here: http://www.solen.info/solar/  you can see a good daily image of the Sun and use it to see when spots appear(scroll down to get the white light image).

As mentioned a blank sun doesn't produce much to look at but when sun spots start growing they are neat or very interesting . Also when there is a transit of planets or the ISS crossing is an event to watch or capture . Eclipses are very nice to watch and capture images also . The limbs edge is the best way to focus on a blank sun . Sunspots are hard to focus at times also cause of heat that will accumulate in the scope tube . When transits happen I find myself refocusing very often . Another neat event is when clouds are moving in front of the suns view . Makes for interesting movement . Here's an image I took of the Venus transit back in 2012 with partial cloud cover . Gives you an idea . 

_mg9976copyb_7345786168_o.jpg

Archived