Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last gasp of Orion

GavStar

Looking at the weather forecast I think yesterday was last view of the Orion region until winter for me. The forecast was clear but cold so I thought I’d have one last look at the various nebulae around Orion.

Frustratingly cloud set in just as I finished setting up at 8pm and didn’t move away until 10 by which time most of Orion had disappeared from my view. Transparency seemed poor as well.

However I did get reasonable views of the Rosette - a great looking object!

After this disappointment I went galaxy hunting with my refractor but found the image scale with NV too small for my taste. Even the Markarian chain galaxies looked like fuzzy stars rather than obvious galaxies. The transparency seemed much worse than last week. Either that or the 160mm refractor just isn’t the scope for galaxies.

So I’m even happier with my C11 purchase since the larger image scale is very apparent comparing last week’s viewing on galaxies with the C11 vs last night with the tec160.

EDC05209-91FF-47E4-973C-298849C48DE7.jpeg

Archived