NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fullerscopes telescopes - still in use?

Hi there, that's a nice old Fullerscope you have that looks ripe for restoration, or at least some TLC

Look like it's a 8.5" f/7.5, with a focal length of 1623mm ("FL 63.9in"). That is a B grade mirror, denoted by the B at the end of the serial number, which will perform well, certainly better than mass produced units from China. They also did A grade (best) and C grade. Hopefully the coatings on the face of the mirror, and the secondary mirror too, are in decent condition and nice and reflective? Hopefully it hasn't spent long pointing up like that without the front cap on? 

My own Fullerscope has a B grade mirror and it had provided some of the best views I've ever had of the moon and planets.

I have some decent condition mount parts that you could have for free if you're interested not sure where you're located? See for sale thread here...

Someone had already bagsied the two pillars but the rest is still there. These bits could be posted so just PM me to discuss if you're interested. 

Thanks a lot for that info CraigT82, 

The Mirrors is not  to badly damaged, but if I find that we are going to continue with this and do a full restoration, i think i will send both mirrors for recoating.
As i can see many small holes on the primary mirror coating when looking from behind ;)

Will get an eyepiece  tomorrow so hope for clear sky tomorrow night. 

Will DM about the parts :D

Edited by Ove

• 5 months later...

Hadn’t seen this thread but in the spirit of zombie thread revival I can answer it- Yes-all the time! :)

Mine’s a drainpipe 8.75” f7.2 with what i was told when i bought it on ebay was a Jim Hysom mirror so probably not the original. Likely originally eq mounted but converted at some point to diy dob mount.  I’m on my third design for a new dob mount for it as the original is falling apart with age, though is still functional.

I’ve been gradually improving it since I became its new guardian and fitting a very nice new secondary and cooling fans have been a massive improvement- the primary seems to be pretty good! It now performs great and i love it 😊

Mark

30D439F6-0C2B-41D2-BE33-553C58FD10EC.jpeg