SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Maxim DL, ASI 1600 and Lodestar 2

Rodd

Rodd,

I've got to pop out to collect missus from work but will be back in an hour.

If you are still struggling contact me by PM and maybe we can set up a TeamViewer remote session. I'm guessing you're in the States so I don't know how successful a linkup would be from the UK but I'm happy to give it a shot.

William.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If you click on the link in the SX downloads does it not give you an option to save it ?

If it does it should there in your downloads folder.

Then you need to follow my instructions to drag it into the Maxim folder.

If there is already a file with the same name you can either delete it of drag it out onto the desktop.

Dave

I got it---wierd how it is different this time.  Anyway, I dragged it to teh desktop then dragged it to teh Maxim file.  It is there--it was not tehre before so I did not have to delete or replace.  It should work now?  If it does--I am in your deby my friend Big time--to Oddsocks too.  I will let you know.

Rodd

2 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

Rodd,

If you are still struggling contact me by PM and maybe we can set up a TeamViewer remote session. I'm guessing you're in the States so I don't know how successful a linkup would be from the UK but I'm happy to give it a shot.

William.

I really appreciate your help.  I managed to get the SX SBIG driver to the Maxim folder.  We'll see.  It will be some time before I can test it--later today I guess.  I guess teh first thing is to see if the 2 cameras are recognized.  If they are--then proceed to testing it.  If they are not--no sense proceeding.  I can run that test on the table.  If that does not work maybe teh team viewer.  Hate to be a bother.

Rodd

Rodd

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Good luck Rodd, nothing like a bit of computering to give you a few more grey hairs  :grin:

Dave

Thanks--we'll see.  I am not too confidant to tell you teh truth.  These black boxes are like a chineses finger trap

Rodd

20 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Rodd, may sound like a silly suggestion but I run 2 instances of Maxim running 2 QSI683s one in each with staggered downloads.

Also gave up with Maxim guiding long ago and use PHD, though the Loadstar worked OK in Maxim.

Dave

Dave--I got the file in the Maxim folder.  Just having it there will fix the issue (if that was the issue) and Maxim will now image and guide simultaneously with 2 cameras?  I am a bit concerned that it is not JUST an SX camera we are talking about, but also a ZWO camera as the SX guider is working directly off the ASI 1600.  Its not just getting power from the camera--all commands go through the camera.  Anyway--I will try it on my table and see.  Even if there is no guide star the guide exposures should continue during a main exposure (that happens every time a dense cloud passes over head. 

Here's another question.  Can I guide with PHD and capture with Maxim?  I didn't think PHD dithered.  I know it would be possible to do this with a separate guide scope--but how about this setup (main camera with guide scope plugged into camera and OAG).  

Rodd

Hi Rodd, not sure if it will work going through the ZWO, I've only ever used the Loadstar or SSAG cabled separately to the laptop.

I've used my LX200 capturing with Maxim, guiding with PHD and OAG and dithering  so it should work OK but as ever with these things there's always a lot of trial and error and swearing.

One of the reasons I bought the 10Micron mount is it's ability to run "unguided" so one less thing to go wrong although I haven't tried dithering it yet :grin:

Dave

Just now, Davey-T said:

Hi Rodd, not sure if it will work going through the ZWO, I've only ever used the Loadstar or SSAG cabled separately to the laptop.

I've used my LX200 capturing with Maxim, guiding with PHD and OAG and dithering  so it should work OK but as ever with these things there's always a lot of trial and error and swearing.

One of the reasons I bought the 10Micron mount is it's ability to run "unguided" so one less thing to go wrong although I haven't tried dithering it yet :grin:

Dave

Do you us PI?  If so--I need to change my UI scaling in global prefernces.  I am using PI on a laptop that is smaller than 27 inches and the auto scaling factor makes PI too large and the tools extend beyond the usable area.  BUT, PI says that if you change the UI scaling factor it may render the core unusable.  If I switch off the uto scaling and use 1.00, the font is so small I can barely readi it.  If I change the 1 to a 1.2 what would happen?

Rodd

Just now, sloz1664 said:

Dave on a learning scale of 1 - 10. Maxim = 10. SGPro = 4. :) PI = 25+ :shocked:

Steve

Come on...if I can learn it, the difficulty mustn't be that high  (but it is higher than Nebuosity.  Hard to compare capture with processing.  I have not processed with maxim, but I know it has similar tools to PI, at least some.  they would be on the order of the same difficulty I would think).

Rodd

Astro spending has been a bit out of control lately so trying to ease up a bit.

I don't use Maxim for processing so it's just a very expensive capturing stacking program but I've had it for years and it's pretty straight forwards, SGP OTOH is a confusing myriad of screens and menus but I'm slowly getting to grips with it.

Dave

1 minute ago, Rodd said:

Come on...if I can learn it, the difficulty mustn't be that high  (but it is higher than Nebuosity.  Hard to compare capture with processing.  I have not processed with maxim, but I know it has similar tools to PI, at least some.  they would be on the order of the same difficulty I would think).

Rodd

It depends on how deep you go with MaximDL. I still use it for image capture on the second scope of my dual rig. But at one stage, when SGPro had an issue with Dome alignment, I used MaximDL for all my imaging. This included:- imaging, guiding, autofocus, syncing, dome control, calibration, image alignment & stacking. PI is a fantastic image processing programme and has a huge array of processes and settings. With regards to the learning curve, I was a cad engineer and I would put PI on a par with learning SolidWorks. Which is a beast to understand and to use professionally and successfully.

Steve

Used AutoCAD for a while many years ago and I don't think I ever got to figure out all it's intricacies, guess I may take the plunge into PI  sometime but " Old dog new tricks " springs to mind.

Dave

9 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Used AutoCAD for a while many years ago and I don't think I ever got to figure out all it's intricacies, guess I may take the plunge into PI  sometime but " Old dog new tricks " springs to mind.

Dave

That sounds more like a challenge to me :evil4:   :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

steve

Not sure if this helps but I have an ASI camera and an SX Lodestar. I use Maxim to take images and guide and control the dome. It works without issues. I can now take 2 hours of autoguided images. Maxim does the guiding and only stops when the ASI1600 downloads (10 secs). After the ASI 1600 has downloaded the guiding re-starts and after 2/3 downloaded guider images it is re-centred follwoing dithering. I normally put a small delay in to allow the autoguider to take 3 images and then re-start imaging with the ASI1600mm. I take 5 min images and can set up 24 images (2 hours) with the autoguider returning errors <0.2 arcsecs RMS and the stars are all nice and round even though I am imaging at a scale of 0.39 arcsecs/pixel.

So basically Maxim works and there is no need to use anything else. With a Mach 1 you will have no problems. I use the Lodestar, ASI1600 and filter wheel all running off the ASI1600 and through a Versaplate on my PMX with its USB. 

Just now, George 47 said:

Not sure if this helps but I have an ASI camera and an SX Lodestar. I use Maxim to take images and guide and control the dome. It works without issues. I can now take 2 hours of autoguided images. Maxim does the guiding and only stops when the ASI1600 downloads (10 secs). After the ASI 1600 has downloaded the guiding re-starts and after 2/3 downloaded guider images it is re-centred follwoing dithering. I normally put a small delay in to allow the autoguider to take 3 images and then re-start imaging with the ASI1600mm. I take 5 min images and can set up 24 images (2 hours) with the autoguider returning errors <0.2 arcsecs RMS and the stars are all nice and round even though I am imaging at a scale of 0.39 arcsecs/pixel.

So basically Maxim works and there is no need to use anything else. With a Mach 1 you will have no problems. I use the Lodestar, ASI1600 and filter wheel all running off the ASI1600 and through a Versaplate on my PMX with its USB. 

Then why does not my identical system work?  Did you down load the SX patch file from starlight instruments that was written for maxim.  if not,  Something is wrong.  The lodestar2 is not recognized as camera 2.  Until it is--it won't be used to guide.

Rodd

Just fired mine up, it's in the obs'y so all old stuff, Windows XP, Maxim 5.xx, SX universal driver dated 2011.

Connects and starts taking guide subs OK, but as I said I don't normally use Maxim to guide.

What version of Windows are you using ?

Dave

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Just fired mine up, it's in the obs'y so all old stuff, Windows XP, Maxim 5.xx, SX universal driver dated 2011.

Connects and starts taking guide subs OK, but as I said I don't normally use Maxim to guide.

What version of Windows are you using ?

Dave

16 hours ago, George 47 said:

It helps to know it can.....but mine cant so the knowledge is only what is expected, as they told me it could.  Please say something about settings?

Rodd

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:18, Davey-T said:

Still resisting buying PI so can't help, recently bought SGP still trying to figure it out :grin:

Dave

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:18, Oddsocks said:

Rodd,

William.

I downloaded the SX file and it still does not recognize the Lodestar 2

30 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I'll try and give it a go on  Win10 machine.

Dave

Update--I downloaded another driver from SX and the Lodestar 2 is recognized.  But guiding is still terminated during exposures and resumes when exposure is done.  What TF

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Did you say you've got the Loadstar plugged into the ASI ?

Dave

Yes the ASI has 2 USBs for filter wheel and guide cam.  This is SUPPOSED to work.  I was wrong in my last message--it is still not recognizing the Lodestar

Rodd

Archived