Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 and M43

GraemeH

I've previously posted earlier versions of this image in the Getting Started section, but having spent several more hours reading various books and online guides I think I may now have reached the limit of what I can achieve with my current processing skills.  To be honest, having only gathered less than an hour's total exposure spread across 4 different exposure lengths I'm really happy with this as a newbie imager.

As always, I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who can suggest ways to improve.

Full details:

Edge HD8 on wedge mounted Nexstar Evolution, Unmodded Canon 6D, 6x300", 6x120", 5x60", 5x30", all through Baader UHC-S filter at ISO 800, QHY5Liic on Celestron OAG guided by PHD2 2.6.4dev8, captured in APT 3.50, all done as a test of my newly built DIY focus motor.

M42.jpg

Final revision. I never really expected much from such a small amount of data, but what I have has really whetted my appetite to spend a lot more time on this target. It's been a good exercise in learning about layer masking in Photoshop too. 

Thanks to all who have made kind and encouraging comments. 

M42 (1).jpg

Archived