Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light Orange Tube C8

moondog

Cleaned up the orange tube C8 borrowed yesterday from the Nelson AS in New Zealand. Blew the cobwebs and dust of it, including the 'PRISM' star diagonal! Must be a very early C8. It has 3 original Celestron Kellners (made in Japan) a 12mm, 25mm and 40mm.

Comes with tripod (non adjustable legs) with wedge and driven alt-az (RA only)

Aligned the 6x30 orange tube finder on the sideways crescent moon. Tried my 25mm Russian plossl. The view looked fine. Turned to a medium bright star, centred it and put in my 7mm Lanth. Defocussed inside and outside focus and as far as I could tell with the only reasonable sky it was in collimation. Always a good start with an SCT !

There wasn't too much image shift either.

Aligned the wedge as accurately as I could by pointing the tube at the southern pole. Halfway between Achenar and Hadar (according to Starry Night Pro 5).

Big test - would the 220volt MAINS lead work OK, and would it track the right way for 'down under' ?

Well, it surprised me by running quietly, and it looked to be tracking OK.

Clouds were coming in from the horizon so I turned the scope on Jupiter and the moons. The view with the 25mm plossl was the best - my 7mm Lanth was too much for the sky conditions. I left the scope tracking Jupiter for about an hour and, although there was some drift, it wasn't bad considering no proper polar alignment.

Optically the old orange lady seemed easliy on a par with mine back home - not bad for eleventeen plus years old!

Here's a pic of the old dear with battered dew shield.

MD

post-12755-133877347297_thumb.jpg

They are good tubes. the early C8's had well made mirrors... so I'm not suprised with this. Of course on the flip of that they lacked high tech coatings. But not worry, she will serve you well I'm sure mate.

Archived