Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Little and Large

IMG_20180225_121236.thumb.jpg.4e98ba54a7cd5a5897304bd57c190ebd.jpg

The "Beast "and " Diddy "

As I have had some feedback and comments about my "Grab and Go" set up . And if a 8" can really be classed as a grab and go ,then I thought I would post a picture to explain. 

As you can see the OOUK 14"  is a big old handful and not exactly a quick or easy scope for a quick getaway to a dark site at short notice. The car needs prep for it and a while to get it to the car and in the car safely without damaging it.

On the other hand the OOuk 8" is so simple and quick. No prep in the car , fits in the back seat or boot without any problems and the AZ4 with it. It is literally a 2min job to get the scope and mount in the car. No planning, no heavy lifting, just quickly and easily to get into the car and go.

And what I have noticed with my own eyes. That on those faint DSO targets. That the 8" at a dark site will out perform the 14" at a light polluted site.

Its all relative I suppose, as if you have been used to a big heavy 14" then something so much smaller as the picture shows really does make a difference in the ability to get going quickly and more incentive than knowing that you need to get the big scope loaded in before you start your trip , loaded off at site, loaded back in the car to bring home, and loaded off again to put back in the Obs.  

Therefore the 8" really can be a grab and go and a very effective aperture IMO

Nice picture and it does make the 14" look a bit like quite a handful. Of course what you cannot gain a complete sense of is how light, in relative terms, the 14" is (in two parts) for a one person lift, who is in reasonable fit condition. Description for dark sky travel is quite right, the 14" requires time to modify the car, then a concerted effort to (in my case) carry out into the street and load. Worth it, yet the 8" alternative (f4.5 or f6) is a breeze in comparison.   

Archived