Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eclipse 2019

bish

After a successful excursion to Southern Illinois last summer (see my avatar) I am planning to go to Chile in 2019. I usually don't book tours as I like the flexibility to change my plans on the fly as the weather dictates. Right now the based on the 5 year cloud cover statistics I think somewhere north of Santiago is my primary target area.

If you haven't experienced a solar eclipse I HIGHLY recommend you do so if you have the opportunity. It is worth the time, effort and expense. Planning is everything - typically you to start at least a year (or two) in advance to make sure you book hotels and flights.

MikeV

Hi Mike,

I planned my holiday last year to see the eclipse from Idaho. It was fantastic. I think you are right that planning well in advance is the key. A trip to South America next year will mean cutting back on other things but it will be worth. I like the idea of the Atacama Desert. 

Cheers

Hi Bish

I've seen several eclipses in the past travelling most times with Astro-Trails. Last year in Wyoming was fantastic. We'll be seeing next year's from Bela Vista in Argentina ( in map posted above), east of the Andes so protected from the Pacific fog that comes inland into Chile this time of the year. From there we'll fly to Santiago and onwards to the Atacama desert for 2 nights observing culminating with a visit to the VLT's in Paranal. I believe Astro-Trais has put on an extra tour group (6A ?)do to the great demand.

Archived