Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon DSLR prime focus on Skyliner 300P, can't reach!

themos

My brand new 450D will not reach focus on the 300P. I've tried taking everything off at the focuser end (leaving bare metal barrel) and holding the body of the camera flush against it (no t-rings or anything) and it's still off.

a) is there an optical solution? something to add to the light path?

:) mechanical solution? I've heard of moving the mirror up and fitting a low profile focuser. has anybody actually done this with a 300P?

Thank you!

Hi Themos

I cant tell if you've already tried this, but...

Here's my snaps I used to help someone else out with similar problem. The Skyliners should come with the required adaptor already..

Here is the 1.25" holder which comes with your 300px and is usually screwed in place on your focuser...

slr%20connection1.jpg

You unscrew half of it like this...

slr%20connection2.jpg

The adaptor part is threaded to fit T-rings :D . Screw it to your Canon T-ring and it should look like this...

slr%20connection3.jpg

Here's it attached to my scope (sorry had no time, took the photo while scope tube stored in shed :) )...

slr%20connection4.jpg

Hope this helps

Matt

thanks!

"The Skyliners should come with the required adaptor already.."

Well, mine didn't but I got it second hand. I do have a bulkier 2" to T-ring adaptor than yours but even when I don't use any extra metal/plastic between the camera body and the focuser barrel, I can't get stars to focus on the 450D.

I'm surprised yours reaches focus, but it's a 250 not a 300, right? Sky at Night reviewer noticed that the 300P flextubes had this problem and claimed that the dealer promised a fix. Does anyone know what that fix is?

Sky at Night reviewer noticed that the 300P flextubes had this problem and claimed that the dealer promised a fix. Does anyone know what that fix is?

You are thinking of the Skywatcher Explorer 300p (a number from the first delivery needed modifying, which has been done).

The Skywatcher flextube 300p has Direct SLR Connection so you should be able to achieve focus with a DSLR.

• 3 weeks later...

well, last night I managed to get the EOS into focus using the TV 2.5x Barlow. Target was Polaris and the companion B (at 18") was easily split, as you'd expect in 12" of aperture. But the focal length is about 3750mm giving 20'x13' fov.

Archived