Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ5 mount for Lunt solar scope

Highburymark

I've been using an Ercole mini mount for solar ha with my Lunt LS60. It's a nice set up, bar a couple of irritations. When I'm turning the pressure tuner, which requires a certain degree of force, it's difficult to maintain the precise view. And it's also more of a challenge to move the sun's disc around the fov to find the 'sweet spot' - because I have to keep loosening and tightening the mount.

So I've bought a new SW AZ5. And have to say I'm very impressed. Robust, excellent slow mo controls makes scope movement and control very easy - even the dovetail clamp which looked a bit primitive in pictures - is fine. With a binoviewer, the double stacked Lunt is over 5kg - but the AZ5 handles it very capably, is a joy to use - and is not expensive. Just thought I'd pass on my thoughts for any other observers who might struggle with mounts for their Lunt pressure tuned scopes.

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

6 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Thanks Mark. I have a Manfrotto tripod that I use with a Leica 80 mm spotting scope for bird watching and it’s certainly capable of handling the LS 50. I just fancied having slo mo controls.

Although I've never had slo mo controls before, it now seems the obvious set up for solar. You'll find that you really appreciate the ability to move the sun's disc around the fov as almost all ha scopes have a sweet spot. 

On a separate issue - bet that Leica spotting scope is rather nice.....?

17 hours ago, laudropb said:

Thanks Mark. I have a Manfrotto tripod that I use with a Leica 80 mm spotting scope for bird watching and it’s certainly capable of handling the LS 50. I just fancied having slo mo controls.

What Manfrotto are you using?

Archived