NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Minor annoyance with telescope mount

Hi all, first time posting on SGL. I've recently bought a Celestron Astromaster 70az. The scope overall is great as of now and the optics are decent. However, I have one slightly annoying problem: The alt az mount's altitude axis sometimes slips backwards slightly and is prone to being moved, even after I have tightened the pan handle clutch it came with. Does anybody have solutions to reduce this effect, if any? Many thanks:happy11:

This is an inevitable problem due to the weight of the telescope being over the top of the pivot. A part solution is to try and fit some form of counterweight opposite to this, even one to the front of the telescope when at thhe higher altitude setting. Welcome to SGL.  :icon_biggrin:

I think I've managed to fix the problem. You have to really tighten the handle to stop it from moving by being touched, although I still like the scope. By the way, tiny flakes of paint from the mount fall off every now and then. Not sure if it'll affect my scope's function. Cheers!

Archived