NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter in Scorpius from New Zealand

At the Star Party I attended in NZ the promised EQ loan driven mount had a mechanical problem. So I had to resort to my Canon 350D on a fixed photo tripod. I'm really pleased at this result - it's amazing how much data I managed to pick up in short subs - a tribute to the excellent dark site.

8947_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

12 x 25 secs subs @ 1600 ISO. 18mm lens F 6.3

MD

That is just a wonderful image MD. I like these galactic arm images, and you did extremely well on a fixed tripod. Jupiter sitting in the midst also.Testament indeed to the superb skies you have down there.

Thanks for posting it, and I hope there are more to come. It is a shame about the proposed loan going pear shaped, but it couldn't be helped I suppose. Still, grateful for what you have done here mate. Really good job.

Ron. :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Imagine what the pic could have been like if I could have used a driven mount. 25 subs of 90 secs @ 800 ISO would have looked awesome!

Ron - the mount was obviously fated - if it had worked I probably would have had 2 nights of rain!.

At the moment I'm writing the report on the observing part, using someone else's 12 ins and 16 ins Dobs. The views were amazing, even my ZS66 produced some memorable ones. The Nelson AS have granted me the long term lone of an orange tube C8 on (I think) a basic Alt Az driven mount. I may be able to use this to image Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae globs.

I can't believe that there is only 1 driven EQ mount in the area, and that's got a mechanical problem.

Perhaps I could persuade one of the local Kiwis to knock me up a wedge for the orange tube C8!

8)

MD

Archived