Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD2 ST4/ASCOM + Cabling Setup?

Z3roCool

Hi - just starting in guiding and getting a bit confused with the different setups. 

Currently have NEQ6 with Altair Astro 60mm Guide Scope with Altair Astro GPCAM2

I have the camera plugged into the laptop and the ST4 cable connected to the mount. 

I am running PHD2 and not 100% which setting to choose in the profile setup. Enter the Focal Length of scope (225mm) and the Pixel Size, then choose the mount. Have been choosing ASCOM from the drop down and it all seems to connect okay. Not been able to test fully yet but can move the mount okay with PHD2 so know it is talking.

I have read a number of people say to use ASCOM to connect and that you can remove the ST4 cable. How do I then connect the mount to the laptop so it can talk? Do I need an RS232 adapter to USB to connect to the laptop?

As you can see, a bit confused :(

Any help really appreciated.

Regards,

Tom.

Three common ways to do it with ASCOM

•  ST4 cable from camera to mount, or
  •  replace mount handset with EQMOD cable which connects directly from the handset port on the mount to USB on laptop, or
  •  skywatcher cable from USB on laptop to socket on bottom of handset.

5 minutes ago, Marci said:

Three common ways to do it with ASCOM

•  ST4 cable from camera to mount, or
  •  replace mount handset with EQMOD cable which connects directly from the handset port on the mount to USB on laptop, or
  •  skywatcher cable from USB on laptop to socket on bottom of handset.

Cheers Marci,

Currently I am using option 1 - Think I am choosing Altair Camera and then 'On Camera' for the mount. This seems to work okay. Is this using ASCOM as I do not have that selected anywhere?

I also have the EQMOD cable and will be swapping out the controller and connecting directly into the laptop. Will setup connection for that for Stellarium. Waht settings would I use in PHD2 to connnect (Instead of 'On Camera')?

Cheers,

Tom

49 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

Cheers Marci,

Currently I am using option 1 - Think I am choosing Altair Camera and then 'On Camera' for the mount. This seems to work okay. Is this using ASCOM as I do not have that selected anywhere?

I also have the EQMOD cable and will be swapping out the controller and connecting directly into the laptop. Will setup connection for that for Stellarium. Waht settings would I use in PHD2 to connnect (Instead of 'On Camera')?

Cheers,

Tom

No that is not using Ascom, you are using direct ST4 commands, with Ascom you will be using pulse guiding, and for this on the drop down list instead of selecting ‘on camera’ you would select the mount Ascom driver which you will have to install first, it will just say Skywatcher EQ6 from the list... :) simples...

53 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

No that is not using Ascom, you are using direct ST4 commands, with Ascom you will be using pulse guiding, and for this on the drop down list instead of selecting ‘on camera’ you would select the mount Ascom driver which you will have to install first, it will just say Skywatcher EQ6 from the list... :) simples...

Thanks LightBucket. Is there a seperate driver for the mount? Have installed the ASCOM Platform but did not realise there was a seperate driver. Probs why it is not showing up!?!

10 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

Thanks LightBucket. Is there a seperate driver for the mount? Have installed the ASCOM Platform but did not realise there was a seperate driver. Probs why it is not showing up!?!

Yes, on the Ascom site it’s here 4th from bottom, take note of the handset firmware version needed..

https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm

Archived