Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice/Suggestions RE:New OTA

Hi All, 

So i have been doing astro for 6 years now and am mainly into planetary imaging but am partial to visual also. When I first started out I had a 200P mounted on an NEQ6 Pro. I used that in combination with various TV powermates to get some passable Jupiter results in with OSC cameras, mainly the ZWOP ASI120MC. I was fortunate enough some time ago now to upgrade my setup to A permanently housed (roll off shed) pneumatic pier mounted AZ-EQ6 Pro with an Altair Astro Planeta 250 Truss-Cassegrain OTA which has  native FL of F18! 

Now as we are all aware the earth is not currently, and won't be for a while in the best position for those of us that like planetary imaging. I have found myself wanting to do more of what I used to do with the mounted 200P and that is more visual stuff. I used to remove all the imaging paraphernalia (Extender/powermate/flip-mirror/camera etc) and pop a TV ethos in the focuser and scan the night skies looking at open and globular clusters. The Planeta is certainly not the best scope to do this type of thing. 

So, what I am asking of you more experienced astro-people is if I am to sell the Planeta what OTA's should I consider that will tick the box of good for planetary imaging (+/- use of powermates/barlows/extenders etc) but also good for doing a bit of visual stuff as described above? 

The planeta is in good condition and I think I would easily get circa £2,000 for it so budget would probably be around that. 

Look forward to hearing suggestions. 

Thanks 

A C11? Good planetary imager, and at F/10 certainly good for all more compact DSOs. You could also consider the C9.25 OTA, which has an excellent reputation for planetary imaging, gives a bit more FOV, and allows you to get a wide-field refractor as well. I use both a C8 and an 80mm F/6 triplet, which is a very versatile combo

Archived