Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oblique origin lunar craters, where are they?

Is there an explanation for the predominance of symmetrical craters on the moon? 

Is there a mechanism at work that ensures that most of the craters we see on the moon are near circular, pointing to perpendicular origins?   

Are there any non-circular craters on earth?

Check out the pair of craters known as Messier A and B.

The ejecta pattern shows they were formed by two impacts of objects (or one object bouncing) coming in low from the right*

360px-AS11-42-6305_Messier_and_Messier_A

*As you look at the moon, obviously from top left of the photo, which I suspect is actually a triple impact.

21 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Check out the pair of craters known as Messier A and B.

The ejecta pattern shows they were formed by two impacts of objects (or one object bouncing) coming in low from the right*

360px-AS11-42-6305_Messier_and_Messier_A

*As you look at the moon, obviously from top left of the photo, which I suspect is actually a triple impact.

Nice find!

The Electric Universe hypothesis raises similar issues (among countless others), but this study directly addresses your question--a great one, BTW, even tho' people tend to abuse the expression (don't mind if I do)

http://www.impact-structures.com/understanding-the-impact-cratering-process-a-simple-approach/making-impacts-experimental-hypervelocity-crater-generation/

Archived