Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CLS or CLS CCD for unmodified 500d

Rattler

Looking into getting a light pollution filter for my currently unmodified Canon 500d. Would the Astronomik CLS or CLS CCD be best? I do plan to modify the camera in the future but that may be a bit if time off. Cheers.

Yes, the answer above is correct to a certain degree,  the only difference between the two filters is that the CCD version has IR cut, which you don’t need on an a unmodified Camera, but you also don’t need on a modified camera either unless you have the full spectrum mod which removes both filters in the camera, the “normal” Astro mod leaves one of the filters in the camera which has excellent IR cut, so hence why the CCD version is not needed with the normal Astro mod...the CCD version is really for a CCD Camera that Has nothing in front of the sensor..... HTH

After seeing this video by Gary Honis I felt that I should go for the IR cut  filter even if my camera was not full spectrum. Of course I did not want to pay full price for something that might be overkill,  so I waited to get a CLS CCD astronomik filter for my Canon1000D at a big discount price (60€). Would I have paid full price (199€ I think) to gain a little more blocking, no. But at that price I think it was worth it ;)

"This is a test using a Full Spectrum Modified Canon 550D (T2i) DSLR camera and Infrared Illuminator to compare the infrared blocking effectiveness of a Baader modified camera for astro imaging versus relying on the original Canon front filter only to block infrared. A Baader modified camera has its original "Infrared and Ultraviolet Absorption" Filter replaced with a Baader DSLR UV/IR filter (BCF-1) while retaining the original front filter."

So LightBucket, If I understand correctly, your take is that whether or not you have a modded dslr the logical choice is the cls version, and not the ccd one.

Right?I am trying to get this straight, since I am too, looking for a filter  

The CLS-CCD is a city light supressor (CLS) with IR cut filter.

The CLS filter does not have IR cut.

-> If you mod you camera and remove only one filter (LP2), you still have IR cut in camera (LP1).

-> If you remove both LP1 and LP2 filters (full spectrum) then you do not have IR cut in camera anymore and you need to get the CCD one.

gallery_39102_3381_20616.jpg

37 minutes ago, therion82 said:

So LightBucket, If I understand correctly, your take is that whether or not you have a modded dslr the logical choice is the cls version, and not the ccd one.

Right?I am trying to get this straight, since I am too, looking for a filter  

Yes if you have the “normal” Astro mod, with just the one filter removed, then you only need the CLS version, as the filter left in the camera has the IR cut....if you have full spectrum mod, both filters removed, then you will need IR cut so you will need the CLS CCD filter...just as @Vox45 explains above... HTH

My DSLR is unmodded at the moment but will be in the future. Was going to send it to Juan at Cheap Astrophotography. Not sure if he removes one or both filters. Would I be best to use just the CLS then with it unmodded?

He will only remove one filter, as stated before that is the normal Astro mod, unless you ask him to do a full spectrum mod, he will then remover both, and the price will probably increase....he also shims the sensor as part of the mod so that the autofocus still works with a lens fitted, I had one done a few years ago by him, and he is very good...

Archived