NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik Horizon live broadcast

tomato

Watched this last night on Youtube and enjoyed it very much. I was most impressed with the 'Live views' of some quite faint DSOs, great to see the image detail building up over time. I certainly support the view that this technique would really help to overcome the massive disappointment of the non-astronomer when they look through a scope for the first time expecting to see the Pillars of Creation or something similar.

What do the Observer only  community think? Is it heresy to use a camera for visual astronomy?

On 18/01/2018 at 12:54, tomato said:

What do the Observer only  community think? Is it heresy to use a camera for visual astronomy?

I know that some people can get rather aerated about this subject, but from my experience strong views on the subject tend to be much more prevalent on the other side of the pond.   

Whilst some may or may not prefer this type of observing, I've never personally heard anyone go as far as to describe video astronomy as heresy.

I have found that the vast majority of amateur astronomers are happy that someone finds an interest in observing the night sky and as long as how they do it doesn't disturb anyone else who may be observing nearby really don't care.

The justifiable complaint some visual observers have is that, if they they are observing with imagers, some imagers have their laptop screens unshaded and way too bright.  So if you're going to do video astronomy in the same space as visual observers you're going to have to have your screen very well shaded, dim and covered in a deep red film/ cover.

Living amid awful light pollution (sports club floodlights etc) I spent a fortune on high quality eyepieces and filters.  Other than the Orion Nebula, a few globular clusters and the core of the Andromeda Galaxy I have rarely seen any DSOs from my back yard using visual astronomy. Even the images in 'Turn Left at Orion' are optimistic. I made multiple (four night) trips to Kelling Heath (n.b. a regular Star Party venue) and never saw anything but clouds. The only times in the last few years  I have ever seen the sky as it should truly appear is in Tenerife and the Galapagos.

Then I discovered EAA which delivers in my own backyard what I originally expected from this hobby.  I hence make no apology for my enthusiasm for a camera and screen, the latter located in my snug, comfortable, warm office.  As regards, the potential impact on others at (say) a star party, I respect that. My Intel NUC connected to my camera both affixed to my telescope has no screen, no keyboard and no mouse.  Using TeamViewer, I can connect to it wirelessly from my second laptop in my (warm) car, mobile home or tent. To be honest, I  never have, as now I no longer have to lug my kit 150 miles to find a decent 'Milky Way' site. Instead just ten yards from my office. I suffer the same annoying  clouds, but enjoy far more opportunity between them.

Archived