NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Issues With Ascom and Imaging software

johngm

Hi All,

I don't know if this has been brought up in SGL yet. I have been having issues today, trying to configure my ASI120MM and ASCOM.  (I am running Windows 10).

Basically the camera was running slow and crashing in PHD2 while trying to take darks. After much head banging and hair pulling, I went to the Home page of the ASCOM web site. The top article was about issues caused by the recent security updates for windows 8.1 and 10.  These security updates were KB4056898 (8.1)  or KB4056892 (10) and were from this months updates. I uninstalled the KB4056892 update from my laptop, and guess what ?......No more issues.

I hope this will help, if anyone else is having, or will have issues after an update.

Regards John

Hi 

Is your version Win10 pro?

I was under the impression that if you removed the update from home editions, then the security update would re-install itself at some point in time; unless updates are disabled (only available in win10 pro).

I followed the procedure to change the DCOM settings to "call" to fix issues with my Ascom/Atik driver connectivity. This seemed to fix issues on a 'dry' run but I've not tested it in anger yet.

Hopefully since Microsoft are aware of the havoc they've created with a rushed roll-out, a fix will be in place soon?

pc387

43 minutes ago, pc387 said:

Hopefully since Microsoft are aware of the havoc they've created with a rushed roll-out, a fix will be in place soon?

Dont hold your breathe !!

Would be interested if your "Anger run" works or not - please leave your findings. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Windows 8.1 and had a problem with POTH being unable to connect to the mount. POTH still connects fine to the Dome. It still connects up via SGPro as does the Dome. This is also reported on the SGPro forum website, someone else had problems with dome and mount connections see http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/alert-ascom-broken-by-windows-update/6909/7  and http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php?11182-ALERT-Windows-10-Update-KB4056892-Reported-Problems&p=67734#post67734 I manually changed the DCOM settings to "call" for the scope settings but still unable to utilise POTH to connect up the mount.

Waiting for feedback on whether the ASCOM initiative download works for Windows 8.1 before I install it. Anyone know?

On 25/01/2018 at 13:42, alcol620 said:

I'm running Windows 8.1 and had a problem with POTH being unable to connect to the mount. POTH still connects fine to the Dome. It still connects up via SGPro as does the Dome. This is also reported on the SGPro forum website, someone else had problems with dome and mount connections see http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/alert-ascom-broken-by-windows-update/6909/7  and http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php?11182-ALERT-Windows-10-Update-KB4056892-Reported-Problems&p=67734#post67734 I manually changed the DCOM settings to "call" for the scope settings but still unable to utilise POTH to connect up the mount.

Waiting for feedback on whether the ASCOM initiative download works for Windows 8.1 before I install it. Anyone know?

Great news for my Laptop running Windows 8.1
Latest download from Microsoft KB3038936 seems to have corrected the issues. Tested the set up and POTH enabled connection to the scope and the dome and the dome slaved the scope. Thanks to all those involved to get the issue sorted

Archived