Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

is this head torch any good?

oohmygod831

im going to the Kielder Star camp in a few weeks and i am trying to get a red torch when i came across these and i was wondering if they were any good or would i be better off with a conventional type torch with a red light source.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-LED-HEAD-LAMP-TORCH-NIGHT-VISION-RED-CARP-FISHING_W0QQitemZ260273317902QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260273317902&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

how bright should the red light be, i bought a small red LED pen torch with one red LED and i couldnt read anything with it, which for a beginner is a major problem, for me anyway. I need to be able to read Turn left at Orion and my Phillips Planisphere to be able to locate anything. So how bright should the torch be, 2, 3 LEDS?

OMG831,

I learned by experience at the Salisbury star party earlier this month that headlights are really not suited to observing. They are great for setting up kit, walking to the toilet and breaking kit down again but are WAY TOO BRIGHT!!!! for observing. Even the red light will interfere with your dark adaption.

A torch that has variable brightness is much better because you can set it to a brightness that will allow you to see what you need and not damage dark adaption.

Something along the lines of this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=67 will be much better.

I have something similar but had to use my headlight because the battery died on me :oops: which reminds me to get a new battery :smiley:

--

Martyn

I agree that headlamps are generally too bright, especially ones with a red filter in front of a white bulb, though you can always add extra filtering, ie paint or red cellophane. Red LED lamps tend to be better than filtered white ones though even red lamps may still need some filtering - and you only want one LED bulb, not 2 or 3 (as many lamps have).

If you find you can't read anything on the porch it's a good sign, because at a dark site like Kielder you want something that won't spoil your dark adaptation, and that means it has to be really pretty dim.

I've also tried using red glowsticks but found they were too diffuse for note-taking - and they wouldn't be welcome at a star camp.

When using a red lamp I try to read by the semi-shaded part of the glow rather than the brightest portion - this also helps the eyes stay adjusted.

I got a bike lamp set in a pound shop, which included a red rear lamp - perfect, except that you've got to go through the flashing setting to get the steady one. It would easily clip on a headband if you wanted though it can't be aimed - I have mine attached to my scope so that the beam points at my lap level for note taking. Some brown tape filters out the unwanted peripheral light.

Andrew

Archived