Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

writing

alhiggs

2 small things: Not sure exactly what you want - is it that you want to write something based on astronomy that is a bit off the beaten track ? Secondly the post should be in The Lounge or somewhere but I guess the Welcome section is not the one.

Can be too easy to put something in the wrong place, and I am half convinced the mouse pointer has a bit of a life of it's own, and a slightly odd sense of humour. Trouble is once you hit the Post button that's it. Have a good coffee, that is my next action, along with a toasted bagel.

31 minutes ago, ronin said:

Can be too easy to put something in the wrong place, and I am half convinced the mouse pointer has a bit of a life of it's own, and a slightly odd sense of humour. Trouble is once you hit the Post button that's it. Have a good coffee, that is my next action, along with a toasted bagel.

my apologies ronin for coming across snappy or sarcastic

What sort of thing are you trying to write? Fact or fiction? I'm assuming the former.

If you're wanting to learn more about something you don't already know much about, you could pick an essay topic, research and write-up - but I guess there's probably more reading than writing with that approach.

Alternatively, a reflective piece on how you came to a better understanding of something - a journey. Observing reports can be unique - expectations, frustrations, realisations, etc. It's easy for people to relate their own experiences to something like this.

You could pull together thoughts on Jupiter and the flashes nearby that have been observed. Read Occam's razor, and then balance the various hypotheses and suggestions by probability, whether disproving through logic or leaving open questions. What assumptions would have to hold true for a given cause to be likely? Research proven examples of each and the events or circumstances leading up to them, like Iridium satellites and their well know orbits, impact events of objects with known orbital parameters and/or previously unknown bodies, point meteors, supernovae, etc. Perhaps stay clear of little green men, though. ;)

What or who are you writing a topic for, the target audience is generally relevant. One thing to differentiate is people who are interested but know little of astronomy and those that have an interest and have been in it for some time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 05:48, furrysocks2 said:

What sort of thing are you trying to write? Fact or fiction? I'm assuming the former.

If you're wanting to learn more about something you don't already know much about, you could pick an essay topic, research and write-up - but I guess there's probably more reading than writing with that approach.

Alternatively, a reflective piece on how you came to a better understanding of something - a journey. Observing reports can be unique - expectations, frustrations, realisations, etc. It's easy for people to relate their own experiences to something like this.

You could pull together thoughts on Jupiter and the flashes nearby that have been observed. Read Occam's razor, and then balance the various hypotheses and suggestions by probability, whether disproving through logic or leaving open questions. What assumptions would have to hold true for a given cause to be likely? Research proven examples of each and the events or circumstances leading up to them, like Iridium satellites and their well know orbits, impact events of objects with known orbital parameters and/or previously unknown bodies, point meteors, supernovae, etc. Perhaps stay clear of little green men, though. ;)

Couldn't disagree more. Occam (beloved by undergrads) is just the sort of old, tired hat to be avoided at all cost. Moreover, little green men are all the rage. (To wit, our recent release of the 2004 navy pilot sighting. Now that's suspect, but yowza the fun!) There's a reason David Icke is selling out all over the world. People are hungry, and breads and circuses are the mainstay of western culture. I'd go full-on National Enquirer, maybe train some night vision goggles on the night sky and tell us what all the activity is. And if you can make a case that it's deep-state stuff, all the better. Be outrageous. What was it Fred Hoyle said? Better to be wrong and interesting than correct and boring? Live a little. Besides, people don't like to be told how and what to think, especially when there's so little left of thinking after they've been convinced of some sterile, dead-end methodology. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Plato have I loved, Aristotle have I hated. Hope I'm not misunderstood.:happy7: No offense Furry. I wonder whether donations (or volunteers) to SETI went up since last week's news? Maybe it was a marketing scheme to continue their funding? A push to increase our defense spending? A real event and consensus amongst the 4 pilots involved? None of these are mutually exclusive. Whatever you decide, I hope you'll be encouraged to keep your own voice.

Archived