Dark Skies, First Lights

Hayduke27

Last night (Dec 10th) I made it out at around 20:00 for a 4.5 hour observation session under dark skies.  The skies were clear and transparency was very good.  Due to "real life" creeping its way in, I didn't have time to make a good list of targets.  Although I had a wealth of old lists on hand as well as Sky Safari, it's amazing how having a fresh list of targets on hand makes such a difference.  

I got set up at a new site, near the places I had been viewing previously but slightly more elevated with good views almost to the horizon on all sides (this can be difficult in the mountains!).  I had discovered this site in the prior weeks while walking the dogs, and while it was good, unfortunately the town is visible from this location and I had to do a little rearranging to get the town lights out of my sight.

Finally settled, I began with the East and West Veil Nebulas using my OIII filter.  Having only seen them recently for my first time, I was excited to go back and spend more time observing them.  This time I was able to make out the nebulosity between the two named objects, and really took my time looking for the dark veins running through the nebulas.  I have finally satiated my beginner thirst enough that I am becoming more patient at the eyepiece.  Instead of trying to bag large numbers of objects, I am trying harder to really observe the ones that catch my eye.  I need to do more sketching soon.

Having spent a good amount of time "scoping the veil", I moved along to the North America Nebula.  I had never had any luck with this in the past, but I finally found it and discovered why on this night. The nebula was much larger and a little dimmer than I anticipated. I was using an ES 30mm 82° eyepiece with a UHC filter.  I had always imagined something that would fit in my eyepiece with clearly defined edges, but this was not the case.  I moved the scope around through brighter and dimmer areas, trying to pick out as much detail as I could.

I next swung the scope around to the Flame Nebula by Alnitak.  I was able to make out some faint nebulosity, but didn't see much detail.  I need to revisit this object.

Based on a recent report I read from @Littleguy80, I decided to search out the "37" and Christmas Tree clusters (NGC2169 and 2264), neither of which I had seen before. I began with the Christmas Tree and was immediately able to distinguish the tree shape in the stars.  This is a cool little cluster and something I look forward to showing to friends and family.  The "37" cluster really is a neat sight.  Not only is it uncanny, but it's such a nice bright cluster of stars that it really is pleasing to the eye.  I look forward to observing this one again, maybe even attempting a sketch.

I found M79, though it didn't hold my interest for long. I moved along to M41.  I'm not sure if I had seen this cluster in the past, but it is gorgeous.  Very bright and so many stars or visible.  Next was M46 which is large and has a lot of stars, but not nearly as bright as M41.  I also found M47 and M48 but didn't spend much time at either.

I moved along to M81 and M82.  I look at these frequently now, and was very pleased to fit them both in the EP at once.  I found myself hypnotized by these objects for quite some time.  There's something about them that really appeals to me, though I can't say just what it is. 

I tried and failed to find IC 342.  I had read, if I'm not mistaking, that it's the third largest galaxy viewable.  I will admit, having just re-read some information about it, it's called the Hidden Galaxy.  I now see why.  I'll have to return to this one.

I briefly observed M1, but could not make out any detail and I moved on to M44.  I can always get lost in all of the bright little triangles of stars in this cluster, and it was as beautiful as always.  I was beginning to get cold, but decided to try and spot the Intergalactic Wanderer.  I found it, and even though it's dim it held my interest for some time.  It's a neat little globular, and I want to try some different magnifications on it in the future.

For my final object, as I have so many nights before, I swung the scope over to M42.  I didn't use any filters, and spent a good amount of time sweeping around trying to see just how far out I could spot faint nebulosity.  After getting my fill of space dust, I focused in on the Trapezium, another favorite of mine.  After getting things well centered I grabbed my 8.8mm EP and giggled the focus knob with my cold hands.  I got things looking very clear, and swore I could make out the "f" star.  I swapped EPs to my 6.7 and refocused, and using averted vision I was clearly making out the "f" star.  This was my first time ever seeing this one, and I was very excited.  I later confirmed that what I was seeing was indeed this star, and it makes me very happy.  Another small accomplishment in the hobby for me :) 

I put the scope away, as I was getting tired and cold, but the skies were just so dark and clear I was having trouble leaving.  I got out the binoculars for a last view of the skies.  After scoping some of my usual favorites including M44, the Pleiades and Hyades, the Double Cluster, and Andromeda I looked for some things I hadn't seen through the binos before.  I was able to find M33, an object that had eluded my for a very long time through my binos in my early days of astronomy.  It was quite clear and a lovely sight through the binos.  I was also able to find M81 and M82, another new sight through the binos, and absolutely lovely.  

Throughout the night I saw roughly 10-12 meteors, and have plans to get out in the next few nights with my girlfriend for a Geminid meteor shower viewing.  The return of dark skies has been kind to me so far this month.  Clear skies to you all!

Sounds like you had a great session there. There's talk here in UK that temperatures are down to -13°C
We just had the latest storm 'Caroline' pass by with little effect to my locality, but residents UK South are struggling with the cold and effects of snow at present!

Right now 0542 GMT I have 1°C outside, pretty warm for this time of day!

Very nice write up of an excellent session. Some lovely objects seen, good that you have found yourself a convenient dark spot; low horizons can really help at times.

I love the 37 Cluster too, and was also viewing Christmas Tree Cluster last night, not a regular one for me so was good to revisit.

Archived