Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equipment for pc viewing

Hello all!

Real newbie here to this endeavor! Always wanted to get into astronomy but life happened and then I hit 59 lol!! What I'm looking for is a telescope that will allow me to view on my laptop/pc! My brother and I both have poor focus when it comes to the small optical viewers so any help is appreciated! I have been looking at some of the Celestron equipment, particularly the Nexstar! I need it to be pretty simple to operate so that my brother who has a learning disability, can operate it if I'm not there to help him! Any other suggestions to consider before purchase are welcome!! Thanks

First add a location, it helps to offer advice and information.

What do you mean or think that "pretty simple" is? What do you expect to see ?

The Nexstars (SE range are Maks) and they are not specifically "easy". They are "goto", you supply the data, you set them up, you do the alignment, and if you have done it all correctly then they goto the next target. Automatic, plug-and-play or whatever people think about them they are not. Heck you have to choose the target they goto. In some ways they do not do a lot at the end of the day.

From having used a few the Meade ETX-80 is likely the simplest to set up. But it is not going to deliver high magnification views. Not sure about the recent Meade ETX 90(?) and 125. Having used Meade, Celestron and Skywatchers I still think Meade got the set up best of all. They assumed you knew close to nothing. Which was about correct when I got one.

Equipment: Scope (goto), webcam - modified (the bigger the chip the better), eyepiece, laptop, webcam capture software. One thing is the webcam and the eyepiece will sit at different positions so you need to construct a small extension unit for the eyepiece, dimensions to be such that you can locate an object with the eyepiece then swap to the webcam and the target is still in view and in focus.

Simple things like power for scope, webcam and laptop.

If you own a DSLR, you may be able to view through it to your laptop. The camera would need a mini HDMI port. Connect the camera to the telescope via a T-mount that will accept an eyepiece (as if you were going to take pictures through the eyepiece). Connect the HDMI cable to camera and laptop, put the camera in live view. Whatever is on the camera's rear screen will also be on the laptop screen. Using the T-tube, you can view at prime focus (no eyepiece), or more magnified views with an eyepiece. My Nikon D3400 has an HDMI port, and Nikon has an available cable with correct connectors; not sure how others are configured.

16 hours ago, ronin said:

The Nexstars (SE range are Maks) and they are not specifically "easy".

@ronin, the Nexstar scopes are SCTs NOT Maks.

I suspect that lower power views would be easier to start with so that finding objects is simpler, plus Goto will make life far more manageable.

Can you give an indication of budget?

Thanks for the replies Luna-tic and Stu!! Luna-tic, I also have a Nikon, a P610 to be exact which does have the mini-HD. I might have to look into that type of setup. Stu, my background has been in computer and electronics for 30+ years. I agree that lower power might be a great way to start but I think I will be able to grasp the operations a litttle quicker than most; hopefully if my age doesn't defy me lol!! I have seen a bundle price of $599 which includes the Meade ETX90 Observer which includes:

Meade #607 12 VDC Power Cord - 25 Feet - 07043

(Value: $24.95 )

Celestron 12V 7 AH Power Tank Portable Power Supply - 18774

(Value: $61.95 )

High Point Ultimate Plossl Eyepiece Kit - UPLEPKIT

(Value: $119.95 )

Is that a decent pricing?

If you get this setup which is nice little scope for grab and go but before long you will be looking for bigger aperture for light grasp. Therefore the 125 may be better bet, also SCT scopes suffer from front correctors dewing up which will require a dew heater and dew controller (more cost), this will then lead to power requirements and quite frankly a 7AH battery will not last long especially using a dew heater. I use two power batteries 70AH Leisure battery and a 22AH. Happy observing whatever you choose.

Some people find setting up a GoTo quite challenging. :happy11: But I think you would find remote viewing difficult without GoTo.

Many people say that eyepiece kits are generally a Newbie trap and a waste of money. Better to wait till you have some experience of using the scope and buy two or three decent eyepieces that serve your needs.

I have no idea what aperture a Meade ETX90 is (their model numbers are not indicative).  You will have to balance the convenience of a smaller aperture scope with the limited performance.  Maksutov and SCT designs are generally more convenient to use than other types, which somewhat justifies their higher cost.  I have found that in UK conditions a cardboard dew shield is generally adequate for these types, and I don't have a dew heater.

Archived