NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Who had the thread about equatorialising a Dob?

In the words of Jim Carey.....it was me!!!!

Yeh, I looked at that page ages ago, before I was even into the whole idea.

I must say that for a DIY job which on the face of it looked like it might never work...it turned out to be blindingly brilliant. I used the scope the other night and it tracks brilliantly and that was even with a rough polar alignment. The rotation is smooth and quiet and the mount is sturdy. There are no issues with balancing when its in different positions (I have yet to try a camera on it), all in all a very good job.

I have to point out that, I think Lightbucket stated that larger dobs could be used, something which I agreed with at first. But having re-looked at the way large dobs work then I have a few reservations with the weight on the forks and also the balancing. Meade and Skywatcher dobs are balanced at the base of the OTA not in the middle like the Celestron ones. Therefore I think that if one with a large dob wanted to EQ it then they would need to make somekind of metal fork system and cut spherical holes in it whereby the rollers can sit. (If that makes sense).

Well, your system is a fork mounted Newtonian, like the 200 inch at Palomar, but they don't have to worry about ep position. You could solve the ep problem by making the top of the tube rotate, but that's another whole world of pain.

Of course, the other thing you could do is stick a camera in the hole...

Imagine drilling a hole in your primary mirror!... eeek!

To EQ my lightbridge the pivot point would have to be moved the tube about three inches to get it to balance, or add some weights to the base - I would imagine that it could be done but it take quite a bit of modification. The whole concept is basically a fork mount with a wedge as mentioned.

Sam

In my opinion its a very simple (and cost effective) way of making your dob equatorial. Don't get me wrong, the tracking may be worse than a proper EQ mount and there are no electronics. But if you have the know-how I am sure someone could russell up a motor driven goto version.

Archived