NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC891 LRGB during full Moon - am I crazy or what....?!!

geoflewis

Hi all,

I've been wanting to get a decent run of exposures using my recently installed SGPro, but have been clouded out until last night. We had a lovely clear sky from about 10pm, but of course an equally beautiful almost full Beaver Super Moon passing through the Hyades, so choosing any target for LRGB let alone NGC891 a mere 30 degrees away was probably insane, but there ya go....!! :iamwithstupid:

I got 1 hour each LRGB using my C14 + Optec FF/FR and QSI583wsg camera shooting 5 minute subs at Bin2x2. Boy was this tricky to process as the background was so bright that the galaxy barely showed in the Blue subs and not much better in any of them. I've probably overstretched what I had as the background looks a bit of a mess and my processing skills are seriously lacking anyway, but here is what I extracted....

NGC891_5Nov2017_LRGB_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.dbc78c0169cf51ecceb47480073c7230.jpg

It's gonna be clear here again tonight, but with that bright Moon still in play I'm scratching my head about what, if anything, to shoot - maybe some Ha as that is the only NB filter I own, but I really want to keep going with the LRGB for now.... I was gonna shoot more subs on this target, but I think I'll pass and have another go when the sky is actually dark...:happy9:

I did get to watch the Moon occult Aldeberan through my 15x70 binos, a first for me so that was an extra treat....

Thanks for looking.

Geof

3 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

That is a great result.. I don't think that your processing skill are lacking at all.. this image is a testament to that... well done.

Thanks you MarsG76, I tried my best, but never felt satisfied, so kinda gave up thinking that I was trying to push water up hill..... :happy8:

Just now, xtreemchaos said:

maybe a tad unhinged, but he who dares wins. great result Geof. well done.   charl.

Thanks Charl. I was definitely feeling unhinged earlier today...., but I've got that Lunar Tic problem, so will be after some more tonight....:eek:

Archived