NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet 24P/Schaumasse nearing Leo Trio

Comet 24P/Schaumasse is a morning comet that has been brightening, and for the next couple days it will be near the Leo Trio. The closest approaches are Nov 2 and 3.    Starry Night 6 estimates it as mag 10.36 and SkyTools 3 estimates it as mag 10.1 so it should be reasonably viewable.   I was playing with Starry Nights field of views and it looks like it  passes within about 1.5 degrees of the Trio.   If you have telescope/EP combo that gives 2 degrees it would be possible to see all 4 in the view.   This would be a cool AP opportunity but I don't do AP.   I'll give a head's up on that forum if nobody else has beat me too it.  I'm kind of behind in these things. 

It's supposed to be clear where I am on friday morning and the Moon sets about 4:25am  so maybe I can see this thing

Phil

I gave it try this morning but no luck.   In addition to the Moon being 1 day from full, it was hazy and humid with passing clouds when I got out.   M65 and M66 were visible but hard to see and there was no hint of NGC 3628 being visible.   I didn't try to use my 102mm refractor to get a 3 or 4 in the view because conditions were bad and I'd be lucky to see the comet with the Z10.   Finding the correct location for the comet was very easy.   I was using a SN6 chart with a EP FOV and the comet made a equilateral triangle with other stars and other field stars made identifying the location easy.   But try as I might, I just couldn't pin it down.    The Moon at this time was pretty low and behind trees,  I think if the transparency were better I could have seen it.    It seemed just barely beyond seeing.   No matter, I'll try again later. 

• 3 weeks later...

This morning's sky was clear, dark and dry. Zodiacal light was plainly visible but I was unable to locate the comet with a 200mm f5 scope. Apparently it's brightness is being exaggerated. Was told to expect a binocular object.

Archived