NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guide Cam Upgrade

spillage

Hi All,

I currently have a qhy5 mono camera (old,old version) but feel that my guiding could be improved by upgrading to a newer cam.

I recently dismissed the asi120 listed on here the other day due to another purchase for a main imagining camera but that fell through and now regret walking away from this one.

I am looking at a second hand touptek mono for a similar price but am not too sure if the altair gpcam would be a better option as only a little more brand new (I though I had read that these have the same sensors??).

I guess I am asking which of the above would be a good enough reason if any to upgrade my existing guide cam on my limited budget.

Cheers

Spill.

The mono cameras all have the same sensor but the gpcam v2 (colour) has a different IR filter to the other colours with the same sensor.  Why do you feel a camera would improve your guiding, are you struggling for guide stars with the old one?

Its not awful by any means and has never let me down. I am just really close to moving away from my dslr and feel that if I am spending a vast amount of money on a new camera then upgrading the guide cam may be worth while.

I can also have a guide cam for each scope so less things will need to be moved about.

I'd say unless you have a upgrade to the newer 5 mk2 or a lodestar I'd keep what you have..if it ain't broke and all that.. if you're struggling for guide stars then fair enough but if it's working as it should the leave well alone..and I'm sure there's something else to spend some money on if it's burning a hole in your pocket..

Archived