Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scopetronix Digi-T Adapter

Albireo380

Has anyone got any experience of using a Scopetronix Digi-T adapter. I have an old Canon A20 and may upgrade to a Nikon coolpix 5200 (going on e-bay). The BC&F afocal adaptor rod & rings are a pain to use, so I wondered if the Scopetronix adapter was better (getting camera lens closer to EP, more straight etc).

Anyone got any experience of these?

Tom

HiTom,

Is it this your talking about?

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it140009.htm

If so I've had one. This was a step up from the previous set up and was very good. It had some major advantages - the camera sat in perfect alignment with the EP (something which took trial and error with the previous method).

But it did have a draw back, actually two...

1st It is specific to a range of EP's and to your make and model of camera. Buy a new camera and the Digi-T is unuseable (you need to buy a new specific ring for the new camera(not the whole thing)).

2nd it is expensive IMO for what it is.

But I got some fantastic results with it and only sold it when I bought the DSLR.

Ant

Hi Ant,

Yes, that was what I was talking about. I am a bit concerned I buy something that seems pricy (for what it is) and then it isn't much better than the "triasl and error" clamp I use now.

It is reassuring to hear it is a step up and I realise a specific adaptor only fits certain cameras - thus a change of camera means a new adaptor purchase.

I will give it some thought, but atsNikon coolpix 5200s are going at £95 on ebay, I am sorely tempted.

Tom

At the end of the day it is only £50 and does enable some really nice shots of the sun (with the right filter) and the moon! The image scale will be better than that of a DSLR - without some form of Barlow / convertor.

Another advantage of the DIGI-T system over the "Steady Pix" http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it220003.htm is that it doesn't let any light in - particaully usefull if you're imaging the sun.

Can't find the 5200 on the list, but your looking at £79 for the A20 and £89 for the Nikon 5700 (this may not be the right thread - I'm not sure).

You can buy the A20 version for £79, then when you replace the camera you only have to buy part of it again (the camera specific part), I'm using a little logic here to give you an idea of the price (SCS would be able to tell you exactly). But my guess would be the extra "ring" for the Nikon would be around £64!

This is much cheaper than buying a DSLR - but wouldn't really enable you to do anything other than Moon/Sun shots...

Ant

Archived