Unidentified object.

Ouroboros

Some of you might like a go at suggesting what this was ... At about 7:45pm tonight (in Oxfordshire) I was out facing south towards the Moon when I saw a bright flash of light out of the corner of my eye, and almost directly above me. At first I assumed it might be flashing plane lights  or even an Iridium flare. I looked up and saw it again - a bright pulse of white light with a discernible rise and fade in intensity lasting half a second or so. I then found it through binoculars. It was a very slow moving object, like a very slow satellite, very faint, but producing an intermittent pulse of light without necessarily any definite time between pulses, maybe 5 to 10 seconds. There appeared to be no other lights on the object, permanent or flashing, or of different colour suggesting that whatever it was it wasn't a plane. It was moving west to east at an elevation of maybe 80°.  I followed it through bins for maybe 3 or 4 pulses of light and then it suddenly disappeared completely whilst still high in the sky.  I've looked on heavens above.com and not found anything obvious. Could this have been a piece of tumbling space junk?  

The best object I can find that best suits your description of time and location is the NOSS 3-4, An American satellite operated by the NRO (National Reconnaissance Office) Designed for Ocean Surveillance. But to explain why it was pulsing will take a better man than me. Maybe seeing conditions are to blame or as said above maybe it was spinning. :) Intriguing either way!

Don't see too many blinking satellites, but have caught a small number that behave like this over the years. I guess they must have panels or arrays that catch and reflect sunlight in our direction momentarily as they rotate.

7 hours ago, TheMrGecko said:

The best object I can find that best suits your description of time and location is the NOSS 3-4, An American satellite operated by the NRO (National Reconnaissance Office) Designed for Ocean Surveillance. But to explain why it was pulsing will take a better man than me. Maybe seeing conditions are to blame or as said above maybe it was spinning. :) Intriguing either way!

OK. What list are you looking at? There were a couple of NOSS 3-3 satellites at 20:08 but no NOSS 3-4 around the 19:45 time on Heavens Above.  

As for seeing it was pretty much uniformly clear as far as I could tell. 

I'm wondering whether it was a discarded rocket not listed on Heavens Above. 

10 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

OK. What list are you looking at? There were a couple of NOSS 3-3 satellites at 20:08 but no NOSS 3-4 around the 19:45 time on Heavens Above.  

As for seeing it was pretty much uniformly clear as far as I could tell. 

I'm wondering whether it was a discarded rocket not listed on Heavens Above. 

I didnt know your exact address so i just gave myslef a +/- 20 minutes. I think the one at 20:08 is the one i was referring too. There must be hundreds of unlisted secret satellites up there or maybe a discarded upper stage.

36 minutes ago, TheMrGecko said:

I didnt know your exact address so i just gave myslef a +/- 20 minutes. I think the one at 20:08 is the one i was referring too. There must be hundreds of unlisted secret satellites up there or maybe a discarded upper stage.

Yep.  I think we have a plausible explanation anyway. :)

On 10/29/2017 at 16:51, Peter Drew said:

Most likely a tumbling satellite or space junk. The fact that it disappeared during a west to East direction suggests that it entrered the earth's shadow at that point.   :icon_biggrin:

And the flashing?

Could have been bands of clouds the sun had to go through to hit the sat, basically the sat ranging through a bunch of crepuscular rays and shadows as it hit the terminator and then into earths shadow?

That wold nicely explain the irregularity of the flashing...

8 hours ago, Badweather said:

And the flashing?

Could have been bands of clouds the sun had to go through to hit the sat, basically the sat ranging through a bunch of crepuscular rays and shadows as it hit the terminator and then into earths shadow?

That wold nicely explain the irregularity of the flashing...

A tumbling object can present different faces to the Sun providing illumination of varying duration and intensity.  Interesting observation.  :icon_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

A tumbling object can present different faces to the Sun providing illumination of varying duration and intensity.  Interesting observation.  :icon_biggrin:

True.

I mentioned the cloud bands and crepuscular rays and shadows to explain the flashing if it wasn't tumbling.

Archived