NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upsidedown NEQ6??

Here we go again! 

I'm trying to get ot grips with a NEQ6 mount. I've followed the instructions for setting up the Polaris reticule orientation & alignment. Whilst doing this procedure the RA is upside down as in the counterweight shaft is pointing up & the puck is pointing down? I've gone with the flow and first clear night I thought I'd try polar aligning. Again following the instructions on aligning the polar reticule the real image was a mile out. I resorted to using SynscanInit & just rotated the RA til it looked the same & used latitude & altitude adjusters to put Polaris in the reticule. Is this OK? I did a 2 star align & it placed the stars within the scope's FOV (8" SCT with 25mm EP) then readjusted with the Synscan handset to centre them.

It all seemed a bit haphazard & nothing like the videos & instructions I've looked at online?

My question is can the Polaris reticule in the polar scope be fitted incorrectly? It's like it's 90 degrees out? Will my haphazard alignment process work? My goal is Astrophotography with a guidescope so will my alignment be close enough for a guide camera to keep track?

Cheers (but slightly downhearted)

Archived